Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals and race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:15 PM
My Street Glide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals and race tuner

I talked to my dealership this morning about true duals for my 06 Ultra. I want to go with the Vance and Hines and my current SE slip-on’s. I also asked about the Power Commander. They stated they have been having problems with the power commanders lately and they and HD will not warranty any work with that item (Something to do with the loss of high idle and cylinder heat). They recommend the race tuner. I know, it’s an HD product. However, this dealership has installed and dyno tuned the Power Commanders in the past. Is anyone aware of problems with the power commanders and will their use cause warranty problems? How about the Race Tuner? Is it comparable to the HD Race Tuner? Any help would be appreciated…..

Old 08-26-2006, 02:20 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: True duals and race tuner

I say they are layin' some[sm=bs.gif]on ya about the PCIII. You know exactly why they are promoting the SERT! Personally, I would choose a PCIII without hesitation.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
asuperheat
Road Master

I use the sert but if done again would probably do the pcIII I know a lot of guys running the power comander and they are all happy with it the sert did at the time I did mine alowed chane of the rev limiter timing and seprate tuning of front cylender and rear cylinder bit I believe the newest power comander allowes this now if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:43 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I had an issue with a Power Commander, 2 of them to be exact.
The first one fried my ECM and I had to get another, but dumb a$$ me decided to try it again...

It did not fry the ECM this time, but even after 2 dyno's it could not be tuned it correctly...
Had alot of hesitation of the line, hard starting and alot of popping on decel.
Everything my Dyno guy could not fix these issues, all the tricks I picked up here on the site could not fix it.
The service manager at 2 dealers (1 here in Texas and 1 in Casper WY where I was a few weeks ago) told me that there have been alot of issue with the PCIII and some 06 bikes, not all of them but some just will not take the signal correctly

I just happened to get one of those bikes.

I did have to pay for the ECM myself as I did not have it done thru Harley, I got my money back from my Dyno guy.
I now have learned my lesson, I do main myself and work done at the stealer

Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 PM
asuperheat
Road Master

Then in that case im glad I went with the sert did not realize they were having problems with the 06' models maybe thats what the warranty issue is about.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:50 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who really knows, I had a problem and 2 Stealers told me others were having problems, but I have not heard of too many on this board.
Everyone here seems to be very happy with the PC III.
I have a couple of friends with 06 Ultra and RKC and they both have PC III and they run great.

Who really knows if what they are tellyin us is 100% truth or distored to benefit the Stealer

Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

My 06 Ultra is in the process of having V&H Big Shot duals and SE race tuner installed. I have heard that PClll is not really all that good. The tech that is working on my 06 suggested the SE racer tuner. After listening to him, it made sense to me. I'm lucky, my dealer has the best techs around.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:04 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer

have you had the injectors looked at? that sounds like the problem, or an intake leak. i would look into the injectors
ORIGINAL: HD Jake

Actually I had an issue with a Power Commander, 2 of them to be exact.
The first one fried my ECM and I had to get another, but dumb a$$ me decided to try it again...

It did not fry the ECM this time, but even after 2 dyno's it could not be tuned it correctly...
Had alot of hesitation of the line, hard starting and alot of popping on decel.
Everything my Dyno guy could not fix these issues, all the tricks I picked up here on the site could not fix it.
The service manager at 2 dealers (1 here in Texas and 1 in Casper WY where I was a few weeks ago) told me that there have been alot of issue with the PCIII and some 06 bikes, not all of them but some just will not take the signal correctly

I just happened to get one of those bikes.

I did have to pay for the ECM myself as I did not have it done thru Harley, I got my money back from my Dyno guy.
I now have learned my lesson, I do main myself and work done at the stealer

Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 PM
My Street Glide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick 51,
Please let me know how your install goes. Also, total cost if you don't mind. My quote was $1000 plus or minus $100 for V&H head pipes, my SG slip-ons, race tuner and dyno tune.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a SERT and V&H true duals...never a prob....the SERT interacts more precisely with the bike than the PC....i laboured over which one for weeks...settled on SERT bc it has many more tuning parameters available than PC...PC however is easier to tune..at the start of the 06 model line, PC's wouldnt calibrate starting well bc of a software prob in the unit...it was fixed tho...i believe it to be as good a tuning unit as the SERT and easier to use for most folks...SERT has added bonus for motorheads

Quick Reply: True duals and race tuner