Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kickstand spring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dragged that spring more times than I can count, but haven't lost it yet. I always carry zip ties and duct tape.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I dont think springs just fall off.Did you hit something?
I would check the spring retainers.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by NMNSG08
When putting my kickstand up today the spring feel off.Anyone ever have this happen?
check to make sure the spring isn't broken. its on pretty secure, never seen one 'just fall off' without either hook breaking, or hitting something just right.

Originally Posted by streetg7
Vise grips & some serious pulling, I got it back on! WHEW!
Really are some nice fellow bikers in the world! Thanks for letting me share!
read the posts above. don't need to use vise grips and serious pulling. really, if you take off the top catch on the jiffy stand and rotate it forward, you can install a new spring in about 2 minutes.

you know, its some an easy way to fix it you'd think hd would recommend doing it that way in the service manual. oh wait, they did...... i guess they be some pretty smart fellers after all.

Last edited by skratch; 07-05-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
halnwheels
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way to use the coins-in the-spring trick is to insert them into the coils before you retract the stand. In other words, start from the position where the spring is stretched the most; then insert the coins; then move the stand to the least stretched position. The coins wil keep the spring from reaching it's shortest length and will become loose. Then you can remove the spring withouht much effort at all.

That is not MY problem. My spring was knocked off by an annoying encounter with a road object and the spring is lost. The new spring will be collapsed fully and pretty difficult to get coins between the coils. From what I've read, the best way was mentioned above, which is to lever the entire stand assembly into position with the spring already connected.

We'll see and I'll post what appears to be some pretty rare pictures. The ones I've seen are for a sporty but I haven't seen that elusive hole with the spring hooked in it shown yet!

Last edited by halnwheels; 03-23-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain

In all honesty all i did was raise the stand with my foot per usuall and the dam thing fell off.I was able to get it back on using a leatherman tool.Have not had a problem since.Thought it was strange but whatever it has been working fine.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 23,248 Likes on 8,848 Posts

If you have the new spring in your hand, bend it over and it will open the spring on one side to insert a coin. Bend it the other way for the other side. Repeat until the spring is extended enough to install.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Came off while putting my disable bike on the dealership trailer but they took care of it. Seems like that dimes will do it, but I'm cheap I think I will use some old washers.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,984 Likes on 18,994 Posts

It not uncommon for them to come detached. I've used a tool that most auto techs have to install the spring. It is a drum brake shoe return spring tool which is nothing more than a long lever with a kink in the middle and a small hook on the end. Bingo! Quick and easy .... just the way you want your gal to be!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep this has happened to me a few times over the years. Always keep a spare Jiffy Stand spring in your tool kit. If not for you then maybe someone in your group. I've just used my Leatherman to slip it back into place. A couple times it happened going over a parking speed bump in a parking lot.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
FlatBlackGlide
Cruiser

no but i just installed a new one and it was super easy

Quick Reply: kickstand spring.