Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno numbers....and a lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno numbers....and a lesson learned

I got my bike back a little while ago. Numbers were good, but a little dissappointing. As you may know, I had this same combination in my '06 roadie that I just rid myself of. The roadie had VH exhaust while the ultra has rineharts. The roadie made a tad more torque, but the ultra made more horsepower. When I asked the dyno guy why I had such a dip in the torque at the bottom, he said "Rineharts". But, on a better note, he knows that I am going to have some head work done, and made the comment that the more I do to the engines performance, the better the rineharts will work. He informed me that even the 124 inch builds that he does, for the most part, run rineharts, and they work nicely. He also said thet installing rineharts on a stock bike is an injustice. They are "Too much pipe for a stock engine" I hate to say it, but the dyno chart backs him up. Anyway, the numbers are below.....have to run by the dyno shop in the morning to get a printout ( printer was on the blink ) Now I REALLY cant wait to get my heads done!

nogood o~`o

Old 08-25-2006, 11:43 PM
rhinoevans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno numbers....and a lesson learned

Too much AIR for the stock air pump.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wnogood

I got my bike back a little while ago. Numbers were good, but a little dissappointing. As you may know, I had this same combination in my '06 roadie that I just rid myself of. The roadie had VH exhaust while the ultra has rineharts. The roadie made a tad more torque, but the ultra made more horsepower. When I asked the dyno guy why I had such a dip in the torque at the bottom, he said "Rineharts". But, on a better note, he knows that I am going to have some head work done, and made the comment that the more I do to the engines performance, the better the rineharts will work. He informed me that even the 124 inch builds that he does, for the most part, run rineharts, and they work nicely. He also said thet installing rineharts on a stock bike is an injustice. They are "Too much pipe for a stock engine" I hate to say it, but the dyno chart backs him up. Anyway, the numbers are below.....have to run by the dyno shop in the morning to get a printout ( printer was on the blink ) Now I REALLY cant wait to get my heads done!

nogood o~`o
Did you get the dyno sheet yet?

If you want better torque (which we all do), get the 2" quiet baffles for the Rineharts. They will provide more backpressure which inturn gives better torque.

Steve

Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing, those true dual pipes rob torque too, its not rocket science, less back pressure less torque, louder it is less torque you have. You want gut ripping torque, a true 2 into 1 setup has been proven hands down the best system to use.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting....same numbers as my 510g's and D&D Interceptors (when I had them....I sold them because they were louder than what I wanted)......
Karl

Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
wnogood
Banned

Here is the dyno sheet. Like I said, not really what I expected, but still good. More compression and better flow in the heads should bring the bottom up. The red lines are before the cam install, and on a downloaded map from the dynojet site. The blue lines are after cams and advanced map.

Name:  ultradyno.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  21.1 KB

Old 08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Another thing, those true dual pipes rob torque too, its not rocket science, less back pressure less torque, louder it is less torque you have. You want gut ripping torque, a true 2 into 1 setup has been proven hands down the best system to use.
I go against that thought process with dyno runs that show it.

I had my bike dynoed earlier this year with the new '06 Rinehart true duals, and there was no torque dip at all. It was a nice curve with no dips and he power coming on steady from 2500.
Then he showed me a dyno sheet for a Thunderheader 2-1 from my buddy's bike, stage 1, and it had a huge torque dip in the low end, and then made the same peak numbers as my Rineharts.....only higher up in the powerband and coming on around 3000.

It looks as though the new Rineharts have fixed the torque dip troubles that they had in the past.

Steve

Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
wnogood
Banned

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I go against that thought process with dyno runs that show it.

I had my bike dynoed earlier this year with the new '06 Rinehart true duals, and there was no torque dip at all. It was a nice curve with no dips and he power coming on steady from 2500.
Then he showed me a dyno sheet for a Thunderheader 2-1 from my buddy's bike, stage 1, and it had a huge torque dip in the low end, and then made the same peak numbers as my Rineharts.....only higher up in the powerband and coming on around 3000.

It looks as though the new Rineharts have fixed the torque dip troubles that they had in the past.

Steve

I dont know about that? My rineharts are the new ones and in my opinion, they have a pretty good dip in them at the bottom. Maybe they use to be worse. The dyno guy told me that for rineharts to work, you have to have alot of exhaust going out. He seems to think that with more compression, and my heads ported and polished, things should really come around on the bottom. I have bigger cams now, just need to get that intake air pushed through those restricted heads.

nogood o~`o

Old 08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
wnogood
Banned

Steve, can you post your dyno sheet here? I would really like to see it. i searched for it the other day with no avail...

nogood o~`o

Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Steve, can you post your dyno sheet here? I would really like to see it. i searched for it the other day with no avail...

nogood o~`o
Here ya go -

Basic tuning done, but the AFR was too lean for me. He played with it a bit, but the numbers didn't change much.

After I do my winter build, I'll pay the big dollars and get a full custom map made.

Steve

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers....and a lesson learned