Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heal toe shifter came loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010 | 09:50 PM
Kidharley
|
Cruiser
Default Heal toe shifter came loose

Driving home tonight the heel, toe shifter came loose and I couldn't shift. The linkage is in tact. It looks like it just came out of the piece that connects to the shift rod. I loosened the allen screw on that piece and the shaft doesn't go in all the way. Is that something i can force. it just looks like it's splined and then you tighten the allen and alls good. I want to make sure there isn't anything that fell off on the road. Is there supposed to be any washers between the shaft and the rod piece. Sorry for not knowing what the parts are called. I do have the service manual but the shift assembly in the book doesn't look like mine.

Thanks for the help. Jeremy

Old 07-02-2010 | 10:32 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Default Linkage

Same thing happened to me. It is possible to fix but I was very leary of the dependability.
I went with a new linkage bar with "heim" joints at the 2 ends. It really does feel like a more "secure" shift. Personally, I think it is worth the investment.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 07-02-2010 | 11:33 PM
M1garandfan
Advanced

Same thing happened here. Back that allen all the way out, you will then be able to slide the linkage all the way onto the splined shaft. The allen should fit in a grove in the splined shaft.

At least that's how it worked on my 07 Road King

Old 07-02-2010 | 11:47 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain

My heel shifter flew off and dam near hit my riding buddy coming home from Reno a few weeks back. I am very thankful that it did not hit him or someone else as that could have been really bad. I was able to find the heel shifter and removed both shifters and cleaned everything really well and them put them back in place and used lock tight and a allen socket and so far so good and it has stayed tight. This is a fairly normal issue that has happened to several people. There are no washers just remove the allen bolt all the way and clean everything really well and reinstall the allen bolt once you slide the shifter back on the shaft and tighten it. I had to use a ratchet with a allen socket as the normal allen wrench would not tighten it up enough.

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:36 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I removed my heel shifter a while back, haven't missed it at all. It kept getting caught up in my pant leg.

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:54 AM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain

same thing happened to me on sunday

Old 07-03-2010 | 02:50 AM
Knight2
Tourer

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
I removed my heel shifter a while back, haven't missed it at all. It kept getting caught up in my pant leg.
I also took mine of a while ago and love it. Just feels more
natural using the toe only and I've got so much more room
down there to move my foot around.

Pete

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:20 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Those things ALWAYS come off....take it off for good and be done with it.

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:42 PM
Raptor1956
Tourer

My heel shifter fell off. I took it to the dealer and they put a new one on for me free of charge. I use the heel shifter all of the time. Once you get use to it you will use it too. The heel shifter is one of the things that make your bike a Harley. If you want just a toe shifter try a metric bike that is all they have. LOL Metric bike converts have a hard time adjusting to a heel shifter some never do. Once you have adjusted to the heel shifter you will be lost without it. JMHO

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:53 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Raptor1956
.....Once you get use to it you will use it too. The heel shifter is one of the things that make your bike a Harley.......
lol...not quite. But to each his own.

Guys told me the same thing, "you'll get used to it". Just like lots of old bikers I know that have done the same thing, it's coming off asap.

Quick Reply: Heal toe shifter came loose