Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer refuses to repair nail puncture

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer refuses to repair nail puncture

I went into the shop Saturday to pick up my bike after some warranty work and the Service Manager tells me I have a nail in the rear tire, so I tell him to plug it and I'll wait.

His response kinda threw me - "we don't repair tires, you only have 2 and it's a safety issue. We will only replace." I asked if the nail was in a sidewall and he says no, center of tread, "but we still will not repair." The tire was holding air so I rode it home, put a mushroom plug in it, and a bottle of Ride-On tire sealant.

I know emotions run high on this subject, but to satisfy my curiousity, I started googling when I got home. I ran searches using different combinations of "motorcycle", "tire", "repair", "failure", and "accident" but I couldn't find a single reference to an actual accident attributed to a failure of a motorcycle tire repair.

So, I'm asking, has anyone ever experienced or heard of an actual accident caused by the failure of a tire repair? Or is this the industry running scared from lawyers?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Can't comment on the legalities but I had a totally different experience. I had a dealership replace my tires and noticed my rear tire was losing about 1 p.s.i. a day. I returned to the dealership, they found a nail in my tire. The mechanic, who was a long time friend said, the nail probably came from one of their crates and he'd replace the tire with a new one. He said they'd use the tire with the nail hole in it on a bike with an inner tube. They didn't charge me an extra dime. Still I don't buy my tires there anymore.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

FWIW, Dunlop's website has a recommended procedure and criteria for repairing a flat in a tubeless motorcycle tire:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...tips.asp?id=30

A key point is the repair procedure requires the tire to be removed from the wheel.

Carl

PS: I know the reply is not responsive to the OP, but thought the information on Dunlop's recommended procedure and criteria for repair useful to post.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

You asked that dealer to guarantee and accept responsibility for the integrity of a tubeless motorcycle tire that has been punctured, damaged and repaired. I wouldn't if I was him. And who has a data base of every repaired tubeless motorcycle tire failure? I'd do local, solo riding on a repaired tire but not long distance two-up touring. I like the peace of mind that new tires bring.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser

I run em patched all the time, use plugs to get to a point where i can hot patch it.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've run plugged tires until worn out with no problem. The last one was only about a week old when I got a screw in it and was told the same thing. No frikin way was I goina throw away a $200 tire to buy another $200 tire that could get a screw in it . A plug kit is part of my tool kit and have used it twice on my bike and three times on my truck. Of course all the holes were in the tread and not the sidewall.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Ive plugged several for myself and my old service manager for our personal bikes.........BUT as far as a dealership doing it, if they DID and you crashed and died due to anything that had to do with that tire, your family would own the dealership.

Its a HUGE liability and not worth the financial risk to any business owner.

Plug away on your own stuff, we all know plugs work just fine.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I got the tire insurance when I bought my RK last year

and it has already paid for itself. Brand new rear and tube after they found a nail in it while doing the front tire replacement. I'll never have to pay for a tire unless I wear it out.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hot95hog
I run em patched all the time, use plugs to get to a point where i can hot patch it.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

$afety i$$ue, my a$$...they ju$t want to $ell you new tire$.

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to repair nail puncture