Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day on the Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:20 PM
Jude1986
|
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good info. So as of now I have decided to keep the seat as is, ans bought the adjustable backrest kit new from the stealer. I met up with a HDF member that had a nav mount for sale and didnt live too far from me. I got that plus grips and levers and installed them yesterday. Another HDF member was selling the sissy bar and pad, along with highway pegs and the 360 mount kit, and the 4 point docking system, which are all on their way now. So far, almost everything that needed to be done to get set up for riding with the gf is done.

I think I am going to need a taller windshield, which sucks because I like the look of that short one. Any ideas on height and/or style and design? Anyone have an interesting windshield on their bike that isnt just a taller version of whats on there already?

Thanks again and enjoy the holiday!

Old 07-03-2010 | 03:49 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I think I am going to need a taller windshield, which sucks because I like the look of that short one. Any ideas on height and/or style and design? Anyone have an interesting windshield on their bike that isnt just a taller version of whats on there already?

Thanks again and enjoy the holiday![/quote]

I have the 6.5 KW shield, I am 6ft it works fine for me. The HD new shield looks pretty close to the KW design. If you are under 6ft the 6.5 or 7 inch re-curve will allow you look over the shield. I see plenty of 6.5 KW or other brnads for sale in the FS section. I do recommend a shield that has a recurve.

Old 07-03-2010 | 04:47 PM
EasyriderFI
Tourer

check it out. When I tour with the wife or one of the kids, I have a HD Tall Boy Seat which pulls you back a inch with great back support, With that the touring pack is Detachable. I do have 13in cyclesmith apes which is a little above the fairing which my hands can get very cold on a cold day. If I had to do it all over I would get 11 inches.

Old 07-06-2010 | 01:50 AM
Jude1986
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I am 6 ft and feel I am going to need a windshield sooner rather than later. I have been looking but they all seem so pricey, especially when I do not know for sure which will work well for me. Has anyone tried the 6 1/2 klock werks and the 8 or 8 1/2?

Old 07-06-2010 | 11:30 AM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

If your gonna go with and aftermarket seat wait on the backrest till you invest, if ya stay Harley get the adjustable backrest. I put the non adj on mine with the Tallboy and at its furthest position back it kicks you forward due to the angle of the fender. I'm getting ready the take a flaming wrench and vise to it and make the adjustment I need to the seat back to more of my liking. I'm 6' and like to stretch out on those long rides. And congrats!!!

Old 07-06-2010 | 03:19 PM
cellexjohn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
John,

How is the tallboy seat for comfort? I understand the seat positions you back and down, but how is the cushioning for a longer distance ride? Any lumbar support at all? The stock seat on my '10 SG has got to go. Makes me feel like I'm dry humping the gas tank!

For reference, I'm 6' 1" also, with long legs.
I think it's pretty comfortable. No problem running near the end of the 6 gallons. I havn't tried a rider backrest yet but it's on the list to "demo" one. It feels funny when i put the stock seat on for solo. I didn't mind the stocker untill I rode with the tallboy. It does kinda feel strange the position the stock seat puts you in. I have a local guy that repads/recovers stock seat pans. I thought about giving him a try.

See if these pics are better of the seat config.

Good luck in your adventure.
John

Attached Thumbnails First day on the Street Glide-frtrtseat.jpg   First day on the Street Glide-frtrt2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010 | 01:43 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

i'm surprised that so many younger guys are buying touring bikes. i think it's neat that the touring line isn't only for us old guys anymore.

Old 07-07-2010 | 09:19 AM
drumster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
John,

How is the tallboy seat for comfort? I understand the seat positions you back and down, but how is the cushioning for a longer distance ride? Any lumbar support at all? The stock seat on my '10 SG has got to go. Makes me feel like I'm dry humping the gas tank!

For reference, I'm 6' 1" also, with long legs.
I have a Tallboy am 6'2" and I can ride all day. I couldn't go an hour on the stock one. The seat and highway pegs were the 2 best things I bought. Its the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Since your sitting lower and a little farther back I find the lumbar support great as well. I 110% recommend it.

Old 07-07-2010 | 09:32 AM
tobyleewilson
Intermediate

I love this bike. I have a Road Glide that I need to trade in.

Old 07-07-2010 | 09:35 AM
bignew
Advanced

I'm 31 and both bikes I have bought have been touring models. Most people said I was too big and wouldn't be happy with the smaller models. I have been happy with my RK and now my SG.

Quick Reply: First day on the Street Glide