Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day on the Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:15 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Jude1986
At the old age of 24 my back has had enough of touring on the Dyna, and I bought my first bagger. I have to say that I am impressed with the Street Glide. The radio is great, and I dont have to deal with the headphones anymore. The bike handles better than the Low Rider, and after a few more miles on it I may have to hit the dragon again. That said, here comes the questions... Any advice on rider backrests and passenger backrests/ luggage racks (not tour packs). Any lessons learned, things to avoid, mods that help, etc.? Also, any decent tankbags that hold a navigation system out there? All the advice you can give is appreciated! Thanks
24, and you just bought your first bagger? Welcome to the geezerhood. You will love your new SG.

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:42 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

It would help to know what year we are talking about.

Get the adjustable riders backrest or a Mustang backrest. The Mustang will work with the stock or HD seats with the slot.

For navigations systems most of use use a Ram-Mount system.
http://www.ram-mount.com/

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:45 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Welcome to the family. Nothing like comfort, hard to believe they say its a rougher ride then the ultra or classic, best ride I ever had (on a bike). I went with the stealth rack nice lines with the bike no problems holding a t bag on it. I think on 09 and up its detachable. For the back rest if your better half is use to a back rest check how hi high up it hits her back and match it. Don't change she won't like it never thought of it intill she was on the back and she didn't like it. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:00 PM
Rockymtnfishboy
Cruiser

Wind Splitter windshield if buffeting bothers you...........08SG

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:02 PM
CLL375
Road Captain

Welcome to the family. I was 33 when I traded up to my 09 SG. I took my Night Train in to the dealer to get some engine cleaner and left with the SG. Hey, I got a clean engine right? I have the HD adjustable back rest and the sundowner seat. I love the combo for long trips but use the back rest and stock seat for everyday use. I also have highway pegs that I use when I want to ride leaning back a little. I bought the 4 pt docking hardware for the sissy bar. My wife she likes it but on long rides she has a tendency to fall asleep back there. I bought the king tour pack to kind of hold her in and for a little extra storage.

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:25 PM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser

Welcome to the street glide family. Dont feel bad about being 24 and getting a bagger I did the same thing last year and now im 25 and have 2 baggers. As everyone has already stated get the 4 point docking hardware ( I have one for sale btw with a streetglide stitched detachable sisssy bar and pad) You will also want a riders backrest and highway pegs. When I bought my new/used street glide it had a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted to the handlebars with a ram mount but I didnt like the GPS so im gonna sell it but the mount was great and of good quality. Any other questions just ask and im sure someone here will answer them.

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:39 PM
Jude1986
|
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the advice. I am looking into the nav mounts now. I thought the Ram mount was too tall but now I see how adjustable it is. 1bad09sglide, would that set up fit the 2010? What are you asking?

Old 07-02-2010 | 12:01 AM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser

Jude check your pm's

Old 07-02-2010 | 12:38 AM
Surgjr
Cruiser

Gratz on your new Ride.

Old 07-02-2010 | 01:38 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member

Congrats on the best damn bike in the world!

Just ride it... the mods will come as you need them.

Quick Reply: First day on the Street Glide