Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

A year or so ago I read an article about oil performance and testing they do to check which oil withstands greater pressures/temperatures etc...
I'm no engineer and only rely on what the smart people prove.
They performed what I think was called a bearing test. That test shows what protects better. Harley's syn oil performance was less than their conventional oil. I do not remember what all oils did the best but I do remember Mobil-1 being at the top of the heap.

I believe using the oils on the market today, if you change it often and you are not an extreme rider, most any of it will be ok within the same viscosity range.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Mobil 1, I use it in everything I own. I have close to 200,000 on my truck and go 8,000 on the oil changes and it uses no oil between changes. If it works that good in my truck I'm sure it will be fine in the bike. I even use it in the lawn care equipment. No oil related failures.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gwcrim
I remember one guy, years back, said he changed his oil every 1000 miles. I asked him if he would put it back in the bottle so I could use it for another 3-4000.
I'd be willing to go on that plan too...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change the oil yourself. It's not hard. I don't think your engine is going to blow up by going over, but in the event ,god forbid, something did happen, I am willing to bet MOCO would fight your warranty claim for not following the service intervals

Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Comparatively... oil is cheap, an engine is not.

As for the guy who said he didn't want to change his own oil...
- I certainly don't trust some minimum wage, dealership porter to do it.
- If I do it, I know it gets done right.
- I want to be familiar with more than just the handlebars on my bike.
- It's a lot cheaper if I find the 20 minutes to do it myself.
- If I save the money on the labor, then I can spend it on something else for the bike.
- I'll be more cautious than the dealership, to not ding up chrome or paint on my bike.
- It took me a long time to be able to afford my bike, I have pride and money in it.

Just saying...

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil in all three holes and change the engine oil every 7500 +- as recommended, transmission every 15,000 recommended by Harley. The primary every other oil change. No issues.

Check this out: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx

Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trlrdr
thanks for the replys,maybe i didnt put enuf info in my post but i will try again...
i took my bike in for the 1k service then for the 5k service now im schedualed for the 10k but they cant get me in till the 8th.im currently over 10k by 1500 and the 8th is still a week away,so another 1k wont be to hard to rack up which will make 7500 since the last one.i am gunna change the oil tomorrow myself to be safe i was more or less just trying to get some input on synthetic oil.is harley oil as good as ams oil? thanks again for your replys
After reading your additional info here, I'm like most, I would go ahead and change it now. Good Piece of mind! If you don't have a service manual, theres enough video's on youtube on how to change oils and adjust clutches. I recently bought my wife a 2010 SG Trike. I wanted to let the Dealer do the 1K mile service because their were some things I wanted looked at. I made the Deal that I would change all the fluids and he do the rest. He charged 130.00 for the remaining service.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting back to your question.....I prefer Amsoil to Syn3. I tried Amsoil after using Syn3 for the last 10k and it seems to have a quieter top end now.....and from what I've read it's supposed to run cooler too.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I1myhd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just change it yourself, or try another dealer.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Your motor certainly won't blow up if you go over, but if you are concerned about going too long on the oil, why not get your hands dirty and change it out yourself? For something as simple as an oil change, I would never let my scoot sit.
Ditto not like it is hard to do and only takes 15 minutes

Quick Reply: synthetic oil