Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil change mileage is also fast approaching and although I don't have any big trips planned, I'll be changing it myself to save some $ for other toys for my scoot.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
nail bender
Advanced

Originally Posted by krazy3
Man that must be some trip if your gonna rack up 2500 miles over the week end
if the 4th is a 3day weekend for him 2500 sounds about right

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope - wont hurt the bike at all. In fact - its the long distance long haul rides that are easy on the oil.....HD motors can take much much much more than people think.....

Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 AM
trlrdr
Intermediate

thanks for the replys,maybe i didnt put enuf info in my post but i will try again...
i took my bike in for the 1k service then for the 5k service now im schedualed for the 10k but they cant get me in till the 8th.im currently over 10k by 1500 and the 8th is still a week away,so another 1k wont be to hard to rack up which will make 7500 since the last one.i am gunna change the oil tomorrow myself to be safe i was more or less just trying to get some input on synthetic oil.is harley oil as good as ams oil? thanks again for your replys

Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Harley oil is a semi-synthetic and Amsoil is a full synthetic for about the same money.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

You want your engine to run quiet? Use a 1/2 quart of Lucas Oil synthetic stabilizer oil additive and the rest with Mobil-1 V-Twin oil. All can be bought at Auto Zone.

It's the only oil combo I found that quiets my engine down.

Make sure you buy a filter wrench/socket from your Harley dealer when you get your oil filter.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where you live but if you're riding in extremely hot temperatures, it certainly is not good on an air cooled engine to put a lot of extra miles between oil changes. As already mentioned, it probably will not do any damage but personally, I wouldn't take the chance myself. Change the oil yourself before risking it.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
breezeair
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scj
You want your engine to run quiet? Use a 1/2 quart of Lucas Oil synthetic stabilizer oil additive and the rest with Mobil-1 V-Twin oil. All can be bought at Auto Zone.

It's the only oil combo I found that quiets my engine down.

Make sure you buy a filter wrench/socket from your Harley dealer when you get your oil filter.
Want a quiet motor? Use HD 360 oil. Cant be beat for soothing the beast. Its cheap, easy to get, and good for at least 3000 miles. I rode last week with a old man with 124,000 miles on a 96 RG. He uses 20/50 castrol gtx. The motor still has the original top end. What a testament for HD and regular oil changes.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trlrdr
i have an 09 ultra that im using harley synthetic oil.my dealer told me that you could go 5000 miles easily without having to change the oil.they cant get me in till another week for my maint.service.by then i will probly have around 7500 on the same oil.will that hurt my motor or should i just park it.we were planning on going for a big ride over the 4th.never used synthetic before so just not sure how good it works.
Check your oil. If it's not too dirty and up to level mark, I wouldn't worry about it. I do my own service now,but when I was having it done by the Dealer, I don't think I ever made it in on the mileage stated for that service. I would rather do it early rather than later, But that's just me.
To answer your question, Yes I think Amsoil is better than HD Syn3. Lot's of folks use Syn3 and like it. I don't because I want the full Synthetic protection. Folks like Wanna-Ride is what makes this forum great. Lot's of good help here...Good luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM
gwcrim
Tourer

I remember one guy, years back, said he changed his oil every 1000 miles. I asked him if he would put it back in the bottle so I could use it for another 3-4000.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil