Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Installation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Installation Problem

[IMG][/IMG] Have EGC (FLHTC)....received kit from Benjy's, began the removal and installation...everything seemed to go together well, then did the "Cable Lash Init" and nothing seemed to perform as advertised in manual. First, drove around and got eng up to normal temp. Second, followed steps in manual...ie hold RESUME switch on, ON/OFF switch to ON, turned ignition key ON, started eng.
Third, cruise engagement light on tach came on, BUT NEVER went OFF after 3 seconds...Increased rpm's, let eng idle down, cruise engagement light still on. Turned OFF eng.......reviewed my steps during installation......needed a beer by this point, actually needed 3 or 4.....

So anyone have an idea why the cruise engagement light stays on, etc........tried the troubleshooting code deal...but the engagement light never came on......go figure...HELP!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/16474/A540980226AA4BD281070EC64FA24483.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2006, 04:14 PM
rm4040
Cruiser
Default RE: Cruise Installation Problem

I am also having a problem with the cruise control. Installed yesterday and the instructions state that a green light comes on for 3 seconds and then goes out. There is no green light coming on just the cruise red light but nothing happens when I push the resume button according to instructions. I did this after engine warmed up but did not ride.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

Sorry to hear,,,,,but glad I'm not the only one so far.....hi hi....

Never got a green light at all.......just the red light on tach.....thought I'd go back thru the wiring and see if I put a wire in the wrong place.....but was hoping someone had a quick fix...

Old 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

I have an 05 FLHT and we both seem to have the same problem. Maybe there is an issue with the instructions or components. If you find out anything before we can get some help on this site please let me know and I will do the same.

thanks

Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

Was reading the owners manual.....the cruise control icon on the speedometer or tachometer will turn red to indicate the cruise control is ON.

It also states that when the desired speed is reach, momentatily push the RESUME/SET switch on the right handlebar to SET.....After a delay of abt 1-1/2 seconds, the icon will turn green on the face of the gauge to indicate the selected cruising speed is locked in.

I guess our model only shows the icon on the tach. But as mentioned before.....during initialization.....the red icon never went OFF......

Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

After going through the initialization procedure the cable slack did not take up or even move. I was thinking maybe the module was faulty but since you have the same problem I don't know where to go.
Did you notice if your module(stepper motor) activated and took up the cable slack? I checked the set switch and it was okay mechanically.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 PM
jmxp
Tourer

I'm not sure what the issue is, but fyi: when my cruise is powered on, the light is red. It turns green when I set the speed.

I don't remember the exact steps to set the lash, but I do recall when I performed it that I did hear a VERY SLIGHT bump in RPM, and the procedure worked as documented in the setting lash thread on hdforums

J

Old 08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
jmxp
Tourer

One other thing that came back to me after reading the init instructions was that when I started the engine in step 4, I don't think the GREEN light came on, I think it was RED, and it DID go off after 3 seconds. Also you probably want to make sure you fully press the resume switch in step 1.

J

1. Push the Cruise Switch on the right handlebar to RESUME and hold it.
2. Turn the Cruise ON/OFF switch to ON.
3. Turn the Ignition switch to IGNITION.
4. Start the engine. The green Cruise Enabled/Engaged lamp in the speedometer will illuminate.
Wait 3 Seconds for the lamp to go off.
5. Release the Cruise Switch from the RESUME position
6. Push the Cruise switch to RESUME and hold. Cruise will pull in cable until change in RPM is detected. The number of motor steps required to rev the engine is stored in memory.
7. After engine revs and Cruise Enabled/Engaged lamp is extginguished release the Cruise Switch from the RESUME position.
8 Turn the ignition switch to off.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

Thanks for input.

However it does not seem that the sytem enables to the point of getting a RPM change that would indicate the cable slack has been taken up.
When I perform the procedure as outlined I turn the cruise on/off on and get the on switch light and the red cruise on light on the tach. The red light stays on, but the instructions state a green enable light comes on stays on for 3 seconds then goes off. Nothing happens after the switch light and red cruise light comes on as I continue to follow the procedure.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
jmxp
Tourer

I'll try the initialization again when I get home to confirm on/off/color of lights, but I remember the red light coming on, then going off after 3 secs. If that's not happening, seems like something is wrong. Have you checked the obvious: reseating all of the connections?

Quick Reply: Cruise Installation Problem