Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:35 AM
cliffd
|
Advanced
Default I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one

I know I'll probably be flamed, so be it! I've owned a 06 superglide custom since new.
I've added apes, fwrd ctrls, new seat, stage 1, bags..etc... about as much as I can to increase the longer trip ridability.
I have increased my longer rides in the last year. More group rides 300 to 400 miles round trips and I plan on doing even more and longer over the next few years.
I'm in my mid 50's in pretty good shape/health, about 5'9" 200 lbs. Been riding since my teens. Mostly bigger Jap bikes and a few BMW's. I'm noticing various pains more and more so I need to make a change.

I've ridden a Road King recently and it seems to be too much of a geezer glide. (In terms of feeling like I'm in an easy chair, which is not a bad idea after long rides on my SG! I think it is a beautiful classic looking bike and the more I tyhink about it I will consider it)

I'm liking the street glide but haven't ridden one yet. Or maybe an Heritage softail set up for touring. I just hope I won't miss the agility my superglide has.

OK let the flaming begin!!.............Thanks, Chip...........

Last edited by cliffd; 06-30-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-30-2010 | 08:42 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

No reason get flamed here. What you really need to do is head down to the dealer and ride them all. I have been to a few different dealers lately and it seems they are begging for people to take the bikes out for test rides right now. Of course I vote for the Street Glide, but you may get on one and not like the ride. Not sure about the RK being a geezer glide though. Good luck

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:47 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Sound like a Street Glide candidate.

Just be aware, the ride is not as plush as the other baggers, the stock seat is junk, and unless your short, you will probably want a taller windshield.

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:48 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

As much as I hate to admit it.... I will take a serious look at a Road Glide (yes a FUGLY... IF there still in production) as my next bike. Once you have a Touring bike, you'll never want a soft tail. The way I hear it that (ugly) fixed fairing is a tourer's dream (as much as I HATE to admit it!). I won't need a new bike for at least a year or two but, when I do...???

Last edited by 07FLHT; 06-30-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2010 | 08:57 AM
rk62
Cruiser

At this point, I would wait and see if there is a Road Glide Ultra for 2011 first. Even if you don't like it, you will at least know that you didn't make the wrong decision if the factory decides to make one. I don't know about the Road King being a geezer glide either. Personally, I think it may be the best looking Harley. I owned a Road King Classic but now own a Road Glide because I wanted the stereo and more wind protection.

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:59 AM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

If you're not a geezer glide guy, and like your Superglide,
you'll love the Heritage Classic. I think they ride better
than my EG. If my wife didn't ride with me as much as she
does I'd have the Heritage. They handle better also. JMO

Jim

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:02 AM
audettd
Tourer

I would suggest trying them first also. I happened to like the ride of the EGC over other bikes. It also has the storage I needed for touring with the wife.

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:07 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

You say you've ridden a RK, but it was too much like a geezer glide. Was that because of the ride, or the look?

The reason I ask is because all the touring bikes are built on the same frame. Sure, the fairing and suspension differences will be noticable, but it's not night and day.

If it's looks that bother you, then it sounds like the SG might be a good choice. None will have the agility of your glide, but you will be more than glad you traded on long rides.

I would vote against the Heritage, they look great, but the mono shock has it's limitations as far as touring comfort goes, especially when fully loaded.

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:08 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

Why would you get flamed? Try a few out. Narrow it down to what you want, maybe even rent one for a weekend.

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:14 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

If you think the Road King is too much of a Geezer Glide, keep your Dyna.
IMHO Ape Hangers and forward controls probably don't "increase the longer trip ridability" for a guy that is 5'9". They may be limiting your ability to adjust riding positions. Putting most of your weight on the seat rather than being able to absorb some bumps with your legs. Also having your arms up can reduce blood flow to your hands.
You also may want to add a windshield for long rides.

Last edited by piasspj; 06-30-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one