Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 05:31 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

This 62 year old "geezer" is taking a 21 day, 7K trip next Monday on my SG. Think you can keep up?

Old 07-01-2010 | 06:27 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I am amazed that no one has said anything about how well these touring bikes do handle. I have a friend who has an FXR and a V-Rod and this spring he bought a Street Glide and even he said it was a great handling bike. He was shocked at well it performed and he can ride hard. (he’s an old school biker dude, so I trust what he says about bikes)

I know my (Touring) Street Glide can handle the twisties better than my (Softail) Fat Boy could.

Old 07-01-2010 | 06:53 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine doesn't look like a Geezer-Glide does it? Oh, I forgot, I am a Geezer. That seat has got to go.

Old 07-01-2010 | 07:19 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

All we posters can do is tell you what 'we' like or want!
It's your butt & money. Get friendly with your local dealer and ride as many different models as possible. Maybe rent the one you 'think you like' for a weekend. Then make up your own mind.
ps: There's nothing wrong with looking 'Geeserly' (opinion)!!

Old 07-01-2010 | 08:58 AM
cliffd
|
Advanced

I'm only joking about the geezer glide quip. Its more of a comment on me than the bike. I agree about touring upm the superglide which nis why I'm upgrading...BTW, the more I see the roadking the I like it.lol!!

Old 07-01-2010 | 05:02 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

Here's the touring lineup in a nutshell:
all the FL's have the same platform
non fairing Road Kings
fairing Street Glide, Road Glide, Electra Standard-Ultra-Classic
The fairing bikes will be notably top heavy at low speeds think parking lots
any of the bikes that end with an "X" designation will be lowered less travel harsher ride
At highway speeds the tourers are the best especially long distance
I've done two thousand mile trip on my old Dyna sore seat city, my old soft tail hurt my back, still both great bikes. It took a while to get use to my Road Glide but I love it now

Old 07-20-2010 | 07:44 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request

ive had road king classics and street glide. Depending on your height, the road king classic is gonna kill your shoulders with its handlebar on long rides as stock. In town its also gonna have a higher center of gravity making it feel top heavy compared to the glides which are lower. I am also torn between the looks of the road king classic, knowing that changes of bar, shocks and seat will need to be done to make it comfortable for me-I'm 5'11. But I am considering the road glide seriously because there are fewer road glides than street glides which are very nice stock-minus the nonfunctional factory windshield. I have never ridden a road glide but plan on trying one out soon. Just also kinda waitin to see if dual exhaust comes back in 2011. Looks-go with rkc. Comfort-go with a glide mho.