Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:16 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

ULTRA CLASSIC, if you want a REAL touring machine.

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:24 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain

Looks like you already have a few opinions. I agree with the others, go down to a dealer and check them out in person and see if they won't let you test ride some of them. Classic is probably the best deal for the touring bike, seat and bars on the SG suck and will need replaced and if you think the Road King is a geezer glide then I'm surprised your even looking. Take the windshield off and they are a great bike (my first touring bike). I now have a SG and love it but made the changes to the bars/seat for more comfort. The SG is probably the closest to what your used to so I would start with that one. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Old 06-30-2010 | 09:47 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cliffd
I know I'll probably be flamed, so be it!
I'm in my mid 50's in pretty good shape/health,
I've ridden a Road King recently and it seems to be too much of a geezer glide.
...... You're in yer mid 50's (as I) and concerned that a tourer looks too much like a 'geezer glide' ?
.. git over it, you are a geezer when saddled up next to the 20/30/40somethings around ya on Dynas.
........... if image is the issue, then get one'a these

...... it's as 'hot rod' as you can get w/a fairing ... once you've established that yer still 'with it' to whoever it is who's opinion is more important than your hundred's of miles of comfort, put a tour pak on it, a taller/shaped windshield & an even cushier seat & and we'll let'cha hang w/ the rest of us geezers on our all day/all week rides.
...... or wait a month, ....if MoCo makes the FLTRK you can ride the baddest *** land yacht anyone can imagine.

.. no flame here, .... just common sense.

Old 06-30-2010 | 10:04 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
If you think the Road King is too much of a Geezer Glide, keep your Dyna.
IMHO Ape Hangers and forward controls probably don't "increase the longer trip ridability" for a guy that is 5'9". They may be limiting your ability to adjust riding positions. Putting most of your weight on the seat rather than being able to absorb some bumps with your legs. Also having your arms up can reduce blood flow to your hands.
You also may want to add a windshield for long rides.
That's what I thought, too. If a RK is too geezerly, so are all the others.

Old 06-30-2010 | 10:22 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
No reason get flamed here. What you really need to do is head down to the dealer and ride them all. I have been to a few different dealers lately and it seems they are begging for people to take the bikes out for test rides right now. Of course I vote for the Street Glide, but you may get on one and not like the ride. Not sure about the RK being a geezer glide though. Good luck
Exacly what I was gonna say. + 1!

Old 06-30-2010 | 10:24 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I agree with the others. Go to the dealer and take them for a ride to see what suits you best.

Old 06-30-2010 | 10:45 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

If you're 5'9" you will probably need to change the bars on any touring bike. I'm 5'11" and the stock bars on my RG killed me, out a set of heritage bars on and it's great. I came from and EGC that was setup like a SG ( yes those seats suck) and had a Klockwerks windshield that made a huge difference in the stability at high speeds and this RG is still a lot more stable. I don't regret buying the RG at all.

Old 06-30-2010 | 11:14 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

I stopped at a dealer yesterday and the sales people were begging me to test ride this and that.

Once I put my teeth in I explained I was just there for RK (chrome) parts as my social security check just cleared...

Old 06-30-2010 | 11:29 AM
MINI SSS
Cruiser

I'd also wait to see if a 2011 Road Glide Ultra appears. I went from a BMW to a Road King in 1999 ( still have it in another state), then a Street Rod, Valkyrie and finally a 2009 Road Glide. I LOVE this bike. I think this would be the easiest transition for your riding and aesthetic preferences. I thought about the " Geezer Image", But comfort,handling and "fugliness" of the RG overcame any hesitation. Go test drive one to see if it sparks your interest.

Old 06-30-2010 | 11:41 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

I'm 31 yrs old and absolutely love my "Geezer" RK. Without the King Tour Pak and the windshield, it makes for a great cruiser too, with the great look and still all the comfort of a touring ride. Windshield back on, Tour Pak back on, and the wife's arms around me...bring on the miles! There's my vote, Sir.

Quick Reply: I want to move into a tourer, opinions on which one