Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall guys what did you do/

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005 | 02:23 AM
oldschool
|
Advanced
Default Tall guys what did you do/

Have Electra Glide and I just installed the Chuggy bagger bars. I was hoping that I would be able to stop the ach in my shoulder when I take a long ride. Well, its a different ach now. I might have the bars a litte low so I'll have to reajust. another one of my concerns is the seating position. I'm not use to floor boards. I'm thinking of getting rid of the boards and installing extend pegs. And the seat well its comfortable but I fell like I keep sliding forward. What are you taller riding do to your bikes to make it fit you? I'm open for ideas. Thx.Ed

Old 06-13-2005 | 02:49 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Tall guys what did you do/

I'm not a tall rider, but I would keep the floorboards, you will get use to them. You can install cruise pegs on the crash bars for a forward foot position. They make a longer shift and brake lever for more foot room on the floorboards, not sure of the vendor you can do a search for them on these forums. Most stock seats are'nt really comfortable on longer hauls, Corbin makes one of the best I think, and there are several guys here using them.

One thing that I think helps me the most is my driver backrest, it's the only way to go IMHO to get the most relaxed and comfortable on the scoot, along with a good seat, handlebar and foot locations.

John TN

Old 06-13-2005 | 11:47 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser

I'm 6'4 and i feel your pain, the bad news is Harley doesnt aknowlege anyone over 5'10. I have a Electra Glide, I installed Bubba Brake forward floor boards and controls. It gives you about 2" more leg room and i have also intalled Highway pegs on the crash bar. I have been told that the corbin 2 up tour seat will set you back a couple of inches as well (Thats my next comfot purchase) In the end you will never be completely at ease on a Harley of any kind that i have ridden but maybe just a little less frustrated with the above.

Old 06-13-2005 | 01:48 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm 6'3", I'm with ya.

I have an '05 EG Standard, the Corbin Dual Tourer seat will move you back an inch or so, I went with the Wild1 Chubby's W0575 for my bike. Get the Corbin first, and see what that does for you. The go with the bars. I'm playing with my bar position, but I get the ache in the middle of my shoulder blades and up just a hair on LONG rides. I'm still working to find the perfect fit.

Mac

Old 06-13-2005 | 02:06 PM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

I'm 6'5" and have an 05 RK...I use the highway pegs and a HD Sundowner seat. I find this combo comfortable. However I do find myself on long rides (and my wife is not with me) sitting on the back pillion and riding like that a few miles...gets the blood flowing again. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 06-13-2005 | 08:15 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I am 6' 3" and I have an 04 Ultra. I have the stock comfort stich seat and matching adjustable rider backrest. The seat is not 100% comfortable, but it's ok. I have the Kuryakyn Iso-Blades on my highway bars with the magnum 1/2" wider quick clamps. I find it ok for the long rides, but I think the seat is not long for my bike. I am going to try to find others with some different seats and try them out. Good luck in your quest for a better ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/CABF6CC79068418291DC6E7AF008A8D0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2005 | 09:24 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior

Well, I had the good sense to think ahead and choose very short parents! Now, I'm down to 5' 8" and still shrinking. So, would one of you guys grab the chips from the top of the frig. and we can talk about lowering kits. Art

Old 06-13-2005 | 10:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Ed, don't ditch the boards. Once you get used to them you'll wonder how you ever rode any distance without them.

I'm 6'1" with about a 36" inseam. Floorboards on both my '78 FLH and '87 FLST were a little "close" for me. Being handy with a hacksaw and hand grinder w/cutoff wheel, I cut both the brackets off the bottom of each of the floorboards. Then I took the brackets I cut off from the fronts of the boards and mounted them in the middle of the boards. Next was to reattach the boards to the front mounts on the bike. This moved the boards about 4 inches forward.

You might need to reinforce the floorboards after removing the original mounts. I did this by cutting a couple pieces of flat bar and drilling/tapping these pieces. Then they were mounted between the rubber pads and the actual floorboards on the inside edge. I used stainless 8-32 Allen screws from the underside, through the boards, and into the flat bar.

You can also get a set of footpegs and mount them to the no-longer-used rear mount brackets on the bike. This'll give you another place to rest your brogans.

There are also kits that mount a foot peg to the front of the existing floorboards. And adding a set of pegs to the inside of the crash bars gives another option.

Old 06-13-2005 | 11:29 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

The thing that instantly eliminated the ache in my shoulder blades was the riders adjustable back rest. I went from uncomfortable in 50 miles to only having a tired butt after 300 miles.

Steve

Old 06-14-2005 | 12:34 AM
oldschool
|
Advanced

Thank you all. Your help gives me something to look forward to. I have the W0575 bars and thought it would be a quick fix. Thats what I get for thinking. It definitely isn't a oldschool bike. These bike are a new breed. I will look into the other stuff that was mention. I got this feeling that I'll have to pull the wallet out for awhile on this one. Thx again. [sm=alcoholic.gif]
PS Ace: my dad was 5.5 and mom 5.7 and me 6.2 how did that happen????[sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Tall guys what did you do/