Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra - A good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra - A good Idea?

My wife has been on me for an Ultra Classic.....And I like the 09+ bikes, and would consider adding one to my garage for long hauls....

Here's the thing - Were a small athletic couple. Im 5"4 135lbs and shes 5"0 90lbs.....29 inch inseam....

I went to a dealer - and the bike fit fine - except obviously my feet dont reach the ground. The seat on this bike is WIDE! Our asses take up 50% of the seat....

Anyway - love the bike - but Im thinking maybe its just not for a rider my size....

Any other small & light riders on Ultra's? Hows it working out for you?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm 5'8" tall 30 inch inseam. I have an '08 ultra lowered 1" in the rear (you can have the front lowered as well). The only reason I lowered it is because it makes it easier when I need to back up.
The seat on the '09 and '10 is wider. You can also get a different seat. Harley's Reach seat is designed for shorter riders. I believe it moves the rider 1" forward and 1" lower.
By changing the seat and lowering the suspension you should be able to make the bike fit you.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'-1" with a 34 inseam and some times feel like I'm short legged.
Between the width of the seat and the floor boards it sometimes is tough.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I would look at the Badlander seat. You might be able to get Harley to mount that seat on a Street Glide (1" lower than Ultra Classic) and see how that feels.
Good luck...

Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

The Reach seat would be a good choice. There are also great, but expensive offerings from Russel Day Long, Corbin and others.

I would hesitate against lowering the bike unless you absolutely must. I have ridden lowered Ultras and hated the feel as well as the lessened ground clearance in turns.

I can't flat foot either of my bikes, but don't care. 99% of the time, the bike is moving.

However, more to your point and thread title, an Ultra is ALWAYS a good idea.

Last edited by Bibleman; 06-29-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Buellrunner
My wife has been on me for an Ultra Classic.....And I like the 09+ bikes, and would consider adding one to my garage for long hauls....

Here's the thing - Were a small athletic couple. Im 5"4 135lbs and shes 5"0 90lbs.....29 inch inseam....

I went to a dealer - and the bike fit fine - except obviously my feet dont reach the ground. The seat on this bike is WIDE! Our asses take up 50% of the seat....

Anyway - love the bike - but Im thinking maybe its just not for a rider my size....

Hmmm ...... I don't mean to be rude but here is what I think: the Ultra can very well be too much bike for you guys. I've seen huge guys on Sportsters and small guys on Touring bikes, both look funny. Now, the looks is one thing, the feel is much more important.

We're not "vertically challenged" and we're not athletic either although I don't know what athletic means. If it's being built like a weightlifter, then it's not me but I'm not chubby either.
I'm 5'11" 165lbs and she's 5'8" 135lbs. What I can tell you is, 1) you'll have a serious pb reaching the ground and 2) you'll have your hands full handling an Ultra at low speed.

I'd suggest you and her first sit on a Street Glide which is lower and lighter. Once you've determined if the height of the SG is adequate, I would add to the stock Street Glide whatever's needed to meet your needs, like Cuise Control, TourPak, maybe rear speakers, maybe lowers, maybe CB and Communication, I don't know what your needs are. Note than lowering a SG might not be realistic cause it's already lower than an Ultra.
Then once you've come up with the cost of your dream bike built on a Street Glide, I'd do the same thing with an Ultra.
Take the cost of the Ultra, add the cost of lowering it plus the cost of a lower/narrower seat, then subtract what you will not use that you could sell (CB, Intercom etc..........) and compare the 2 amounts.
It could be cheaper to start with an Ultra, and it could be cheaper to start with a Street Glide. Only you know what you need.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'6" but got you by a few pounds. I rode an 09 last year and did fine in the stock form with the wife on the back (who also has you by a few pounds). I bought an 04 Ultra and lowered it an inch and love it. I also sent the seat into Mean City and had them lower and narrow the front and push me an inch forward. Also changed the bars to bring them back. I feel very comfortable on the bike.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Hmmm ...... I don't mean to be rude but here is what I think: the Ultra can very well be too much bike for you guys. I've seen huge guys on Sportsters and small guys on Touring bikes, both look funny. Now, the looks is one thing, the feel is much more important.

We're not "vertically challenged" and we're not athletic either although I don't know what athletic means. If it's being built like a weightlifter, then it's not me but I'm not chubby either.
I'm 5'11" 165lbs and she's 5'8" 135lbs. What I can tell you is, 1) you'll have a serious pb reaching the ground and 2) you'll have your hands full handling an Ultra at low speed.

I'd suggest you and her first sit on a Street Glide which is lower and lighter. Once you've determined if the height of the SG is adequate, I would add to the stock Street Glide whatever's needed to meet your needs, like Cuise Control, TourPak, maybe rear speakers, maybe lowers, maybe CB and Communication, I don't know what your needs are. Note than lowering a SG might not be realistic cause it's already lower than an Ultra.
Then once you've come up with the cost of your dream bike built on a Street Glide, I'd do the same thing with an Ultra.
Take the cost of the Ultra, add the cost of lowering it plus the cost of a lower/narrower seat, then subtract what you will not use that you could sell (CB, Intercom etc..........) and compare the 2 amounts.
It could be cheaper to start with an Ultra, and it could be cheaper to start with a Street Glide. Only you know what you need.
Hope that helps.
+1, that's one of the nicest things about Harleys, you can make them whatever you want/need.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buellrunner

just lowered it. The first owner of mine did it because he is not a tall rider. he change the bar too. All parts are from MoCo. For me, i'm 5.9, it's smoother to ride it and it look better too.
Just to remember, a Ultra is a "too" much heavy bike for everyone at stops. You have to take care of everything and more when you have the TP full and her behind. But it's a great bike and riding it is always a pleasure.
Hope it help

Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 5'5" on a tall day,160 lbs with a 29 inch inseam.Last fall I bought an 09 EG Classic and before it left the dealer I had the low shocks installed.In the spring of this year I purchased the mid year 2010 EG seat.Now I'm nearly flat footin it.Since I ride solo all the time I also picked up a Danny Gray seat,now I'm flat footin.I love the ride and the look.

Quick Reply: Ultra - A good Idea?