Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the right side so friggin' hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
One of my friends had the Bub 7 true duals on his 2009 SE Road Glide and the left header was going down the left side like it did on the 08 and earlier models. The problem is he rode solo 99.9% of the time so the issue of heat for the passenger wasn't one for him and his experience is pretty much inexistant in this domain. He sold the bike so I can't test ride it with my passenger anymore. Shoulda done it before he sold it. Damnit! lol

That's how they look on the left side.
http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...n=05-7072-CCCB

I've already answered the same question regarding heat wrap. If I was going to do something like that, I'd pay a little more and have the headers jet coated in and out (ceramic) but I'd rather not do it if I can replace the headers by "real" true duals. I'll gain in heat reduction and sound at the same time.
my wife rides with me also at times and i have no heat issues with her either. i had a dyno tune the head pipes i have helped a great deal along with a oil cooler. just saying.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on producers response.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What I have done with our bike , which has worked pretty well so far for us.
My wife rides with me a fair amount during the summer.
I went with Soos 1" floorboard spacers (front) which helped a little bit.
My right leg position made a fair difference to her heat perception.
Two years ago I started removing my lower fairing vents for the summer , which also helped quite a bit.
This year I removed the vents and trimmed all the material on the engine side of the main vent support on each , which improved airflow by about 1 to 1 1/2 " per side.
I then added highway pegs and when the temperature is fairly high , I ride with my heel on the boards and toes on the pegs on the highway.
This made an improvement in airflow also and she says that it made a big difference in her comfort.
She wanted to try raising the passenger boards to the top setting and actually likes it best this way.
She's about 5'7" and says it's better on her back for longer rides too.
I had thought about spacers for the rear boards , but she's happy now , so I am too (hehe)....
Mick

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Here's the picture of the BUB headers for 2009 and up bikes.

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...e%20Dual&zsb=0

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...n=05-7072-CCCB

As you will see, the rear header goes down the left side, like for the 08 and older models and not like the stock 09 rear header which loops in front of the tranny and then crosses over to the left side.
Thanks for that, I obviously hadn't looked at the Bub duals. It seems most of the manufacturers have a different solution, ie Rinehart, Supertrapp, Klockwerks. If Bub can figure out a traditional routing for the rear cylinder, I wonder why more of the other guys don't do the same.

I recently did the Fullsac conversion on my bike, and it significantly reduced the right side heat problem. I was going to run a 2-1 setup, but I've since decided the benefits of a true dual are worth the potential performance tradeoffs.

Also, I had seen your reply to the header wrap suggestion, which is why I'd edited my earlier comment. Jet hot is a great idea, but I think header wrap will reduce exterior temps better.

Last edited by Mike; 06-28-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does adding duals and/or removing the cat do anything to void your bikes warranty?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by moleson10
Try header heat tape. It's like nomex or something woven tape. I've got it on my dirtbike to keep the pipe from burning my pants. Works great and greatly reduces the radiated heat coming off the pipe. With the heat shield installed you probably won't even notice it.

Buy it from any automotive hot rodding source.
What ever you do don't do this it will actually be hotter not cooler it's been proven over and over again, heat tape pulls heat out of the exhaust pipe and causes a super hot area over the outside of the pipe which is very hard on the pipe itself, it makes the surrounding air hotter and can cause a decrease in HP because when you pull heat out of the pipe the exhaust actually slows down which robs some of scavenging affect.
On the other hand ceramic coating works wonders for getting rid if heat, I did mine this last winter and it helps a lot, the ceramic coat holds the heat inside the pipe which reduces outside heat and it also increases the speed of the exhaust in the pipe which increases HP.
Ceramic coating really does work, it was a $100 well spent.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
On the other hand ceramic coating works wonders for getting rid if heat, I did mine this last winter and it helps a lot, the ceramic coat holds the heat inside the pipe which reduces outside heat and it also increases the speed of the exhaust in the pipe which increases HP.
Ceramic coating really does work, it was a $100 well spent.
Header wrap, done properly, holds the heat inside the headers. It will keep the exhaust gasses hotter, which reduces density and promotes exaust speed and scavenging. It's not even controversial.

Ceramic coatings will also hold heat inside the exhaust, but don't reduce exterior heat as well as header wrap. It's why some folks with ceramic coated exhaust also use header wrap.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Supertrapp 2 into 1 and have been cooking my right leg at stop lights since putting this on. That is until this Saturday when I heat wraped it. I tried the ceramic coating (inside as well as outside) on a different exhaust, but any lower temp this may have provided went un-noticed by me.
I went with this -
http://www.designengineering.com/cat...-lr-technology. Purchased the 2"x50' titanium roll and the 8" and 14" locking ties.
I removed the head sheilds, floor board and passanger peg and I was able to wrap the exhaust pipes on the bike. I was able to put the head sheilds back on so you would have to look close to notice the wrap.
I can now place my leg closer to the pipe at stops without having to look for the burn spot and there is a very noticeable lower amount of heat around my foot when riding. My wife has not rode with me since so no feed back from her yet.
The one minor issue is the cooking time that takes place when the wrap heats up smokes and cooks off something the wrap is coated with to make it more plyable.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by road_king_rob
Does adding duals and/or removing the cat do anything to void your bikes warranty?
I was told by my dealer that any modifications to the exhaust will void the warranty, even slip ons. They looked it up, even the slips ons they sell, it says right in their manual that it voids the warranty.

Depending on your state, I would worry about not getting an inspection sticker if the cat was removed, as well as it being illegal.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey French. I have the same bike, same set-up, and had the same heat issue with my wife. The heat was OK for me but too much for her. So I spent the $35 with Soos and installed the 1 inch passenger extentions. Mama's happy and so now everybody is happy. When it comes to heat, that 1 inch of increased distance from the heat source and 1 inch of increased airflow totally solved or (economically mitigated) the problem for me. Anyway, I know it's not a heat solution but it could help to make your passenger more comfortable so might be worth risking the $35 and the 5 minutes install.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clint55; 06-28-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is the right side so friggin' hot?