Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the right side so friggin' hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SOCALHD
I found the solution to the heat but it is illegal. The cat is in the collector you are noticing the high temps from. My cat is now gone and the temps from the pipes dropped dramatically. Fulsac used to do this but no longer does it. If you want to keep your stock head pipes I suggest finding someone that will do it.
There's no cat in the header of my 09. Only the 09 California models have it and all 2010 models have it.
I'd hate to think how hot it must have been with a cat in. Good thing we live in PA.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the heat shields that are available as H-D or Kuryakyn. They will help a lot. By the way, true duals will reduce the available engine power. H-D has installed crossovers on all their bikes since 1979. The parts required to do this cost money which they don't spend for no good reason. The advantages of the crossover became apparent when they installed the simese exhaust on the 1977 H-D Cafe Racer.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tedcmiller
Try the heat shields that are available as H-D or Kuryakyn. They will help a lot. By the way, true duals will reduce the available engine power. H-D has installed crossovers on all their bikes since 1979. The parts required to do this cost money which they don't spend for no good reason. The advantages of the crossover became apparent when they installed the simese exhaust on the 1977 H-D Cafe Racer.
What heat shields are you talking about? The ones you mount under the driver seat? I have plastic heat shields like these on the 09 Ultra. They come stock with the bike and they do nothing for my passenger's right foot and ankle.
The heat she complains about comes from the horizontal part of the rear header and the crossover pipe, not from the rear jug. I can feel the heat there myself.
You're right that true duals displaces some HP and torque from low rpm to higher rpm but I'm willing to accept it if they increase her comfort.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be an answer you're looking for but if it's possible, raise the rear footboard. That should pick her feet up away from the pipe. If she's not wearing boots, I recommend boots. I notice a significant difference for me when I'm wearing boots vs. street shoes. Just another .02

Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding down the highway with cruise set. I put my right hand down near the passenger floorboard and its like an oven - at 75mph. The left side is fine. Hope someone comes up with a solution soon.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by road_king_rob
I was riding down the highway with cruise set. I put my right hand down near the passenger floorboard and its like an oven - at 75mph. The left side is fine. Hope someone comes up with a solution soon.
Thanks for confirming my findings. The passenger floorboard bracket, the saddlebag rails, the bottom of the side cover, all on the right side are very hot, while things are barely warm on the left side, it's crazy!

To answer another poster's suggestion, my passenger is 5'9" so it's out of question to raise the floorboards and she does wear boots with jeans. No shorts and flip-flops here.

I hope to find a solution too. We love the bike but it's not fun when she's roasting for hours on the bike. Remember that when the Mrs is not happy, nobody's happy. She paid for the bike too so I can't ignore her problem.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a solution and solved the problem with a 09 GOLDWING !!

My 08 Ultra SE3 sits in the garage waiting on the next recall, scared to ride it something else may break or fall off.

Last edited by SteveO; 06-28-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

boogaloodude,
Thanks for the update. I haven't followed the exhaust changes as much on the very newer touring models.

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The 09-10 bikes don't have a left side per se. The crossover goes under the bike. You're thinking about the 08 and older exhaust system.

I haven't seen a true dual setup for the 09 or newer bikes that has a left side pipe that just goes down the left side like the older bikes. It seems like the rear pipe goes right, then crosses under the bike in the stock location. Or the front exhaust crosses under the bike and the rear exits on the right side. Either way, you've got the exhaust for the rear cylinder there under your right leg. Having a rear cylinder exhaust that exits to the left goes a long way in cooling down your right leg, but I don't see that as an option for the 09 bikes. You might be able to modify a system for an older bike to fit, but I'm not sure what that would entail. Mounting brackets are probably different, and the left sidecover might be an issue.

Reading through the thread, I was thinking heat wrap, I see that you're considering that. It's a pretty inexpensive thing to try, and if you are reasonably careful, you should be able to install your heat shields over the wrapped headers. You might even gain a little scavenging efficiency along with reduced external temps.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Duplicate post, sorry.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-28-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by producer
boogaloodude,
Thanks for the update. I haven't followed the exhaust changes as much on the very newer touring models.
Here's the picture of the BUB headers for 2009 and up bikes.

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...e%20Dual&zsb=0

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...n=05-7072-CCCB

As you will see, the rear header goes down the left side, like for the 08 and older models and not like the stock 09 rear header which loops in front of the tranny and then crosses over to the left side.

If only I could find someone having them on an 09 Ultra and riding with a passenger .................

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-28-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is the right side so friggin' hot?