Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Rims, cant get em clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 Rims, cant get em clean

OK, so I have the black bike and everything shows on it. I have come to the realization that over time this bike will show scratches ... not matter how hard I try to keep it perfect.

But the rims, I cannot get the mudder fudders clean. Stained and white spots all over the back one... the front is decent but could be better. Any ideas on how to get these clean?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the look of black but i'd spend more time cleaning it than riding. I had a black truck and that was the last black vehicle i'll ever own! Swirl marks by just touching it. I feel your pain.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
fettnersa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Mothers wheel cleaner in a paste and a lot of elbow grease......a real pain in the *** to keep looking good. And black may be the fastest color, but it's also the fastest to look dirty!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

Clorox Clean up with Bleach is what I used yesterday. Gets the grime off the wheels and spacers. The aluminum still could use a good shine.... but my 09 road glide is hard to get at. The Clorox seems to get them looking okay... have to use a good aluminum polish to get them to shine. Or, go with Chrome wheels.... those will stay clean. Also, having a black bike myself, I found on this forum to get this product called Glare spider and Glare polish. Makes the swirls in black paint go away. Good stuff. JMO

Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I just buy whatever pump spray wheel cleaner is on sale and spray and wash off.
4thgear......you by chance didn't ride your bike on beach during Daytona Bike week and forget to wash it off afterwards.
I've seen bikes that visited Daytona and were not cleaned before returning to storage have their wheels turn to sh*t....along with other parts.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

This is what I use on bikes, cars, everything.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+G9524

Works great. Has a little foam action to it that you spray on and just a little scrubbing and off goes the frime. Wally world has it for a few dollars.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
I just buy whatever pump spray wheel cleaner is on sale and spray and wash off.
4thgear......you by chance didn't ride your bike on beach during Daytona Bike week and forget to wash it off afterwards.
I've seen bikes that visited Daytona and were not cleaned before returning to storage have their wheels turn to sh*t....along with other parts.
The closest I have ever been to a beach is bradford beach on the Milwaukee lake front. Never been on the beach at daytona.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

I thought the wheels have a clear coat on them.... wont an aluminum polish mess up the clear coat on the rims?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I solved the wheel cleaning issue by putting on a set of Ultra Limited Wheels.They are chrome and black and clean up real easy.It was an expensive solution but I love the look.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Try one of those Mother's small pollishing ***** (kind of red colored from Wal Mart) that goes on a drill motor. I have one specifically for my 80 wires on my rigid, but it works okay on the 09 wheels.

Quick Reply: 2009 Rims, cant get em clean