Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ultra oil cooler!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauletich
Can anyone let me know what kind of drop in oil temp I can get from a HD premium oil cooler?
I want to cool my oil when I'm on the road riding but would like to know if the drop in temp is worth the price?
The oil cooler, & tune work together to help the bike cool itself & run efficiently.With a good tune I would say 20 degrees cooler.With an ok tune about 10 degrees.Either way it helps.Make sure your tune is good also!!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,945 Likes on 22,775 Posts

35-50 degree drop with the oil bud cooler. http://www.budsbikerparts.net/
Biggest one/most cooling space on the market.
Most expensive too, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 AM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ultra cool here, next will be a larger oil pan.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
It's been a while since I installed mine. I've got the Jagg 10 row which is slightly bigger than the HD unit but as I recall, it didn't take as much as a 1/4 quart to bring the oil level to full after the install. I just refilled the engine like I would without the cooler, started her up and let the oil pressure stabilize, shut it down and then slowly added oil until the dip stick showed full. Subsequent oil changes take what the engine would normally take without the oil cooler.

Oh, I have to admit, I was getting pretty nervous on the first start up after the cooler install. Since the engine has to fill the oil cooler, it took longer to develop oil pressure. I didn't get any complaints from the engine during the process and the actual time probably wasn't as long as it seemed but it had me biting nails for a second or too.

Best of luck with yours!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Thank you Intrepid175! Just in 300km (190mi) I'll install mine in doing oil change. I'll install the cooler already filled with oil, so, the oil will take less time to go to the moving parts. After the first start up Ill check oil level. And yes from there on, subsequent oil changes takes the normal oil capacity, once the oil in the cooler stays there, due to the position of the hoses exits. Thank you again.
Cezario

Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
35-50 degree drop with the oil bud cooler. http://www.budsbikerparts.net/
Biggest one/most cooling space on the market.
Most expensive too, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.
Is that temp drop from your own real world experience or the manufacturers own propaganda ? I find it hard to believe you would see or even want a 50 degree drop. That's why the Harley coolers have a thermostat you want the oil to stay in the recommended range of 190 to 220...

Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Is that temp drop from your own real world experience or the manufacturers own propaganda ? I find it hard to believe you would see or even want a 50 degree drop. That's why the Harley coolers have a thermostat you want the oil to stay in the recommended range of 190 to 220...
I agree.50 degree drop sounds crazy.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I was happy for the temp drop, as on 90 degree days ridin' 2 up I was @300, and maybe even a little more, and that was w/a stage 1 & a PC-V.

I bought a HD Premimum oil cooler, but after speaking w/my buddy who has an 09 ultra I changed my mind. My buddy with the 09 ultra said that even with the HD Premium oil cooler that fully loaded and he and his wife ridin' it @80-85 on the interstate it was still peggin' 300 degrees.

It was at this time that I knew that I would be wastin' my time with anything less than what I decided to buy and sent back the HD oil cooler, and bought the oil bud and had it installed during the rally @Sturgis.

So there you have it, no propoganda, and no BS.

That was what I found from the installation.. the 35-50 degrees.
Oh btw; the oil bud does have a thermostat as well..

Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I was happy for the temp drop, as on 90 degree days ridin' 2 up I was @300, and maybe even a little more, and that was w/a stage 1 & a PC-V.

I bought a HD Premimum oil cooler, but after speaking w/my buddy who has an 09 ultra I changed my mind. My buddy with the 09 ultra said that even with the HD Premium oil cooler that fully loaded and he and his wife ridin' it @80-85 on the interstate it was still peggin' 300 degrees.

It was at this time that I knew that I would be wastin' my time with anything less than what I decided to buy and sent back the HD oil cooler, and bought the oil bud and had it installed during the rally @Sturgis.

So there you have it, no propoganda, and no BS.

That was what I found from the installation.. the 35-50 degrees.
Oh btw; the oil bud does have a thermostat as well..
Wow, if your running near 300 degrees oil temp on the Interstate at 80 to 85 you have other problems besides just keeping the oil cool.

I was concerned on my 07 Road King when the oil temps went up to 260 on a 95 degree day sitting in traffic and that was before I installed the oil cooler.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I tell my local dealer/service manager about the 300 degree temp. and he says. "yeah they run that hot," like it's typical.

Now imagine what the temp is w/a cat in the head pipe, with a 103 or 110 motor?

I am ecstatic to be runnin' @230...

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-19-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Oil Cooler