Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I hear ya and understand where you're coming from. I don't think anyone has said that oil coolers are "needed" as an absolute, only that they do help. I don't think there's one thing I've added to my bike since I bought it, and that's been quite a bit so far , that could be characterized as an absolute need. Most of it is just cosmetic and some of it is functional, like the oil cooler. Probably the single most expensive thing I've done is have my seat converted by Russell Day Long Saddles. That one was a little over $1,100! Ouch, that sounds bad, doesn't it? Not when my **** is happy as a clam after a 12 hour day, it's not! If I had to take everything off my bike that I've added to it so far except for one thing, the one thing I'd keep is that Russell saddle conversion. There's nothing better than "not" squirming all over the place 1.5 hours into a 10 hour ride, which is pretty much what I was doing on the stock seat.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.
LOL, I know what you are talking about when it comes to seats. I've got mine at Mean City cycles as we speak. He's adding the double layer foam.
The reason I threw that in about the oil cooler, someone had mentioned the higher heat causing the engine to fail quicker. He was saying that wasn't the case. I know oil coolers help with personal comfort. If I did a lot of around town riding, I would have one. I'm lucky to be retired and do 90% of my riding in the mtns. Ride safe!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 AM
joe28
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late!
A friend of mine sold me his set up, I installed it a few weeks ago.
So far it seems to work well, but I've no before and after numbers to atest to it, but any cooler is better than no cooler!
Joe
Jeese! I wonder if the cave men had so many rules and instructions to follow?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ronp42
90% of my riding in the mtns. Ride safe!
I'm green! The closest mountains to me are a good two day ride away! That's why I've got an Ultra Classic!

You Ride Safe too!
Steve R.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 20 degrees.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
fritz982
Advanced

Not sure what your mounting this on, if you have an ultra your stuck with the Harley item. If not, any frame mounted Jagg cooler is far more effective. Oil coolers work only when you've got a decent amount of air blowing through them! Makes a nice decoration other wise!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

when doing the high compression 103 kit i also got the harley cooler as it came with the kit. the only thing i notice with the oil cooler is it's much more of a pain in the *** to change oil. when the motor is running i'm out in the wind on the road.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much oil do you add to the original ammount after HD oil cooler instalation?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
how much oil do you add to the original ammount after HD oil cooler instalation?
It's been a while since I installed mine. I've got the Jagg 10 row which is slightly bigger than the HD unit but as I recall, it didn't take as much as a 1/4 quart to bring the oil level to full after the install. I just refilled the engine like I would without the cooler, started her up and let the oil pressure stabilize, shut it down and then slowly added oil until the dip stick showed full. Subsequent oil changes take what the engine would normally take without the oil cooler.

Oh, I have to admit, I was getting pretty nervous on the first start up after the cooler install. Since the engine has to fill the oil cooler, it took longer to develop oil pressure. I didn't get any complaints from the engine during the process and the actual time probably wasn't as long as it seemed but it had me biting nails for a second or too.

Best of luck with yours!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Like others already said, a cooler is better than no cooler even if the temp drop is 10% or 5%. I do a lot of riding in Georgia and Florida summer heat and welcome anything that can reduce engine heat. I did the Xied's and HD oil cooler this summer. Next up for me is to add the Baker plus one oil pan with the bagger brace.

If I understand correctly the oil cooler. Is now standard on the 2011 Touring bikes ?If so just another example of the MOCO realizing that it should have been standard years ago.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Those that say the oil cooler is worthless in stop and go traffic are ignorant.

Just like the radiator in your house that gives off heat WITHOUT moving around the room, the oil cooler will radiate off heat from itself when you are not moving. The heat rises and pulls some cooler air in. Of course it is not as much as when moving. Just as the cases, jugs, heads give off heat when you are stopped so does the oil radiator which is additional cooling to what is already going on. You know more surface area yielding heat. The oil that is being pumped through does yield some heat off which then goes into the atmosphere.

Now for those that don't think they need a cooler. The engine will have a small increase in power the cooler that it is. The engine will have a longer life the cooler that it runs. HD is helping out. XR1200 has a standard oil cooler. Buell had a standard oil cooler. The Ultra limited has a standard oil cooler. I think that the CVO's do but not sure.

If anyone buys the HD cooler be sure to get the 185 degree one as they also have a 215 degree one. Oh! and the parts guy won't know that.

The optimum temperature to run a four cycle engine is 160 degrees. That doesn't happen any more even in cars because of the emission requirements.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-18-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Oil Cooler