Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
We had been riding the rain for about 30 miles and were making or way to the next town to catch a motel as it didn't look like things were going to clear up any time soon when I looked down at my oil temp gauge. It was totally pegged to the cold side. I was thinking, "what the....." and wondering if the gauge had quit or the sending unit had failed or what?? Turns out that the oil cooler gets "real" efficient when it's being directly sprayed by water off the front tire.
I can tell you that this is the case even without an oil cooler. I don't have a cooler but when I ride in the rain (or even in a heavy fog) my engine oil temps drops to nothing! Unbelievable how cool the engine oil becomes. Once things dry out the temps come right back.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Intrepid175, no problem I didn't think you were calling me a lier,
I didn't really think you did but just wanted to make sure we were Ok on that!

Originally Posted by tj316
I have a Electra Glide Classic with a Jagg 10 row low mount #2300 for years 1999-2008, if you have a 2009 you have #2400 for 2009-2010, the fan kit I added is by Milan a forum member, go to bigskyfan.tripod.com to contact him, as far as comments that you don't need an oil cooler, I agree , I ran Harley's for years without them and never blew up a motor, however lower temperature can't hurt an engine and help prolong repairs and secondly in Florida I ride all year long, with the humidity here the bike becomes very uncomfortable to ride when the engine gets over 230, below that even in 98* heat and 90% humidity not to bad, with the cooler and fan combo it never goes over 230, so say what you will and call me what you may but the cooler is as much for me as my scoot
I'm pretty sure it's the difference in the frames. I've got Milan's fans on my bike too but they definitely didn't fit as cleanly as yours did. I had to trim the mounting brackets on either side of the cooler by about an 1/8th inch each for the fans to fit properly on the cooler. Next, I found the cooler couldn't be mounted as it was designed because there wasn't enough clearance between the frame and cooler for the fans to fit. I wound up building an extension out of 1/8th inch aluminum plate I got from a local RC hobby store. That part took about 30 minutes with a dremel tool and cutting disk along with a couple of trial and error fitting sessions until I got it right. Then a couple of coats of black Krylon and it was good to go. The whole process wasn't as bad as I'm probably making it sound but still, it would have been nice if it had all bolted up without the additional gymnastics. My experience with the cooler and fans running pretty much mirror yours. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston and our temps and humidity are "very close" to what you see in Florida. I've been in downtown Houston on a 95 to 100 degree day and my temps stayed right around 230 also! I can live with that!

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
I can tell you that this is the case even without an oil cooler. I don't have a cooler but when I ride in the rain (or even in a heavy fog) my engine oil temps drops to nothing! Unbelievable how cool the engine oil becomes. Once things dry out the temps come right back.
Really?? I would never have guessed that. Sounds like the thermostat version wouldn't have made any difference after all! Thanks for sharing!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by testifer
got to love when people get so easily offended about something such as not needing a oil cooler. i have well over 200,000 miles of riding and never had a single engine go. is an oil cooler bad? no. is it really needed? no. its real simple. if you think you will have peace of mind, go for it. just like all the ridiculous oil questions on here. who's oil is best. if you are riding 1000 miles a year then Crisco oil will work. people wasting money on expensive oils when they don't ride the bikes. let the flame begin
Well, since I'm the main one who responded to your post, I assume you're referring to me as the one being offended. I don't think I said or did anything to imply I was offended. I simply disagreed with your statement that oil coolers are worthless and I gave reasons why. If you don't want one, that's Ok but I've seen a noticeable difference in my bike, an 09 Ultra, after the oil cooler install. It's a lot more than simple peace of mind as far as I'm concerned and I'm obviously not the only one.

On the oil thing, to each their own. I run Amsoil. Maybe I'm spending more than I absolutely need to but that's my decision and I don't apologize to anyone for it. Having said that, if you think Crisco oil would work Ok in your engine, by all means, give it a try. Only thing I ask is that you video the process. I'm sure we'd all enjoy watching that one!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone on the fence about an oil cooler. I was at the TN. State Hog Rally. I was standing next to this guy who seemed to have a lot to do with the event. we were watching the Daytona Drill Team perform. These guy's and one gal are good. I noticed and made a comment about wonder what kind of oil they used and i didn't see any oil coolers on their bikes. all except one was Ultra Classics. The guy turned out to be the District Manager. He said most Harley's don't need an oil cooler, Just run a good synthetic oil and keep it changed according to your riding habits. If you ride around town, change it more often. He said if Harley had felt the need for cooler's, It wouldn't have been expensive to install at the Moco and tack a little on the price tag. He said they put them on the 103 and 110's because they are needed. Not the 96 and 88's. I have never put an oil cooler on my harley's, But I don't do parades. Just saying

Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

again I will say one of the main reasons I run one is for my comfort, when the bike is 230 or below it's enjoyable to ride , above that and it cooks me, so running cooler is a win win for me and the bike, I don't think anyone can truly say sitting on a bike at 245 is comfortable

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

they sure can't hurt. if you can change oil, you can install one. buy one from one of the 20% off dealers on line like lshd1.com, (they offer shipping deals from time to time also) and they aren't really that expensive.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone on the fence about an oil cooler. I was at the TN. State Hog Rally. I was standing next to this guy who seemed to have a lot to do with the event. we were watching the Daytona Drill Team perform. These guy's and one gal are good. I noticed and made a comment about wonder what kind of oil they used and i didn't see any oil coolers on their bikes. all except one was Ultra Classics. The guy turned out to be the District Manager. He said most Harley's don't need an oil cooler, Just run a good synthetic oil and keep it changed according to your riding habits. If you ride around town, change it more often. He said if Harley had felt the need for cooler's, It wouldn't have been expensive to install at the Moco and tack a little on the price tag. He said they put them on the 103 and 110's because they are needed. Not the 96 and 88's. I have never put an oil cooler on my Harley's, But I don't do parades. Just saying
I hear ya and understand where you're coming from. I don't think anyone has said that oil coolers are "needed" as an absolute, only that they do help. I don't think there's one thing I've added to my bike since I bought it, and that's been quite a bit so far , that could be characterized as an absolute need. Most of it is just cosmetic and some of it is functional, like the oil cooler. Probably the single most expensive thing I've done is have my seat converted by Russell Day Long Saddles. That one was a little over $1,100! Ouch, that sounds bad, doesn't it? Not when my **** is happy as a clam after a 12 hour day, it's not! If I had to take everything off my bike that I've added to it so far except for one thing, the one thing I'd keep is that Russell saddle conversion. There's nothing better than "not" squirming all over the place 1.5 hours into a 10 hour ride, which is pretty much what I was doing on the stock seat.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
joe28
Cruiser

I went to Ebay and typed in Harley Davidson Oil Coolers, and a unit with a thermo controlled fan came up.
It was a nice looking uit, I'm gonna think, (ahhhhhh) it went for $500??? But I can't remember the correct price.
It was a dandy unit.
Joe
Nothing is too good for my Harley!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 AM
joe28
Cruiser

I found the info on it, it's called "Ultra Cooled"
Joe

Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member