Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed both the dash temperature gauge and oil cooler and as previously mention it drops the temp about 20 degrees. Love both and the peace of mind is great. I think mine cost 165.00 plus shipping from Zanotti's in PA.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Intrepid175 is absolutely correct. I also get upset when I see people saying the cooler does nothing while standing still. My last bike 03 Ultra didn't have an oil cooler until I was coming back to the states from Canada and at the check point my bike got so hot(dipstick indicated 300*) that it kept moving with the clutch in. As soon as I got home on went a cooler. Never had that problem again. My new bike, a 10 Limited comes standard with a cooler. I sat on the cooler/no cooler fence for years and years until I finally decided the new Harleys do need one.....along with a few other things.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

yes, intrepid175, I put on the Jagg 10 row low mount , the oil filter adapter w/o thermostat and anti rotation device and the bigsky manuel fan kit total $359.85 with shipping, I wanted the manuel fan so I could control it and I called Jagg and they said all air cooled v twins should have the oil going through an oil cooler regardless of where you live and they do not recommend a thermostat, they make them for people who feel they must have them but they feel you are wasting your $

Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I ride in the winter here in the Chicago area and I wouldn't ride without a thermostat. I even go so far as to stick a barrier in front of the cooler.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running oil coolers in all my bikes since late 70s Anyways I currently use a Harley cooler in my 04 flh classic.A few yrs ago,I did a 95 in build with cams.I did an oil change at 6100 miles using Redline syn oil. Sent oil to Blackstone Labs to analize and they told me to go another thousand miles between changes.My oil was perfect.Without an oil cooler ,I doubt it would have been perfect.My temps are around 200 degrees .I ride mostlty around 55 -65 mph. If you ride on the hyways at 70 -mph and above the cooler will not cool as effectively as say 55 mph.I have also logged over 300,000 miles without a major engine failure .

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
yes, intrepid175, I put on the Jagg 10 row low mount , the oil filter adapter w/o thermostat and anti rotation device and the bigsky manuel fan kit total $359.85 with shipping, I wanted the manuel fan so I could control it and I called Jagg and they said all air cooled v twins should have the oil going through an oil cooler regardless of where you live and they do not recommend a thermostat, they make them for people who feel they must have them but they feel you are wasting your $
Hey TJ, I wasn't trying to call you a lier or anything ( ), it's just that yours really does look different than mine does. I've to take a couple of pictures and post them here to show you the difference. That'll be a while though because I'm on vacation right now and won't be home until after the 4th of July.

Jagg told me the same thing about the thermostat. They said the engine oil temps would come up the same regardless of the ambient temps whether I had the thermostat or not. It may take a little longer in cold weather but it still comes up. I've found that to be true for the most part on my bike and I've had her out in temps down in the upper 30's. The only exception was on a ride we took last October. Ambient temperatures were running in the low 60's. It really was comfortable riding until the rain hit. We had been riding the rain for about 30 miles and were making or way to the next town to catch a motel as it didn't look like things were going to clear up any time soon when I looked down at my oil temp gauge. It was totally pegged to the cold side. I was thinking, "what the....." and wondering if the gauge had quit or the sending unit had failed or what?? Turns out that the oil cooler gets "real" efficient when it's being directly sprayed by water off the front tire. When the rain lightened up and the roads dried a bit, the temps came right back. I don't think it's a big deal but it was a little disconcerting until I figured out what was really going on. I have to wonder if this would have been the case if I'd had the thermostat? Don't be surprised if/when this happens to you!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Edit: TJ, I just went back and looked at the pictures you posted. I also was looking at your avatar picture. The picture is small and a little hard to tell but you're riding either a StreetGlide or an Electra Glide Standard? What year model is your bike? Mine is an 09 Ultra and I'm wondering if that's not the difference?

Last edited by Intrepid175; 06-28-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 AM
testifer
Road Master

got to love when people get so easily offened about something such as not needing a oil cooler. i have well over 200,000 miles of riding and never had a single engine go. is an oil cooler bad? no. is it really needed? no. its real simple. if you think you will have peace of mind, go for it. just like all the rediculous oil questions on here. whos oil is best. if you are riding 1000 miles a year then crisco oil will work. people wasting money on expensive oils when they dont ride the bikes. let the flame begin

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
joe28
Cruiser

I'll toss my 2 cents in on a cooler!
I just had one installed on my '07 Ultra. Then a few weeks later bought a oil temp dip stick.
I run Amsoil oil, true duals with stock slip on mufflers.
2 up loaded with luggage on the interstate doing @ 70, the oil ran @ 210-220, as low as 205 when I stopped for gas or a pee break.
We got stuck in traffic on 95 outside Mystic Friday afternoon, took 3 hours to do 5 miles.
Highest my oil got sitting idling in the sun (@ 80 degrees out), was 240.
I pulled over just cuz I was starting to boil over, and figured we weren't going anywhere fast.
ANYTIME you get oil outta the engine into the air it's gonna cool it, grnated less as the bike is stopped, but SOME, and SOME is better than nothing.
I had looked at a cooler with a fan and was gonna spend the extra $$ to get it, but I got this H.D. one for a deal.
When it comes to saving my engine's life, I'd spend a few more $$, cuz $200 extra for a fan oil cooler is better than a engine J.O.B.!
I'm gonna try my dip stick in my buddy '09 with no cooler and no duals to see what his temps are
Joe

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I keep seeing posts about an oil cooler fan. Is that something you can buy or do you have to make one yourself? Who makes one? I have not seen any ads for one. I know H-D doesn't have it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Intrepid175, no problem I didn't think you were calling me a lier, I have a Electra Glide Classic with a Jagg 10 row low mount #2300 for years 1999-2008, if you have a 2009 you have #2400 for 2009-2010, the fan kit I added is by Milan a forum member, go to bigskyfan.tripod.com to contact him, as far as comments that you don't need an oil cooler, I agree , I ran Harley's for years without them and never blew up a motor, however lower temperature can't hurt an engine and help prolong repairs and secondly in Florida I ride all year long, with the humidity here the bike becomes very uncomfortable to ride when the engine gets over 230, below that even in 98* heat and 90% humidity not to bad, with the cooler and fan combo it never goes over 230, so say what you will and call me what you may but the cooler is as much for me as my scoot

Quick Reply: HD Oil Cooler