Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got to have a new Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
pworks
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you finished with the build and back on the road? I'm in a similar situation with my 07 FLHX and am building a similar motor. I'd like to get some feedback on how it runs, etc

Don

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I had it built like I posted at the beginning of this thread. It has been running for about 2 weeks now but I have not had it dyno tuned yet. I have not been past 3500rpm yet but it pulls hard and seems to have a lots of low end torque. The Wood TW7H cam sounds good at idle and does not have much valve train noise at all. I did go with the new wood lifters and valve springs too.

The 30T & 68T pulley change for the 07 (3.06 final drive) is really working good too. It takes off much better now when riding 2 up and puts me around 70 mph @ 2850 rpm on the highway. I don't cruise down the interstates @85 mph too much so bringing the gear ratio down was a plus for me. Sometimes before it felt like I was riding the clutch while taking off when 2 up.

I hope to get the break in map out and get it dyno tuned in the next two weeks. I will post dyno sheet when finished.

Last edited by MBrown; 08-15-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
sengle4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 06 Ultra and the crank started making noise at 11k miles. It was under warranty and Harley sent the engine back to the factory for re-man. I suspect they had a problem with cranks in some of their production runs.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just returned from a 4600 mile run to sturgis and back,Its was a blast,But on the way home i started getting a vibration and my gear drive cams are really singing,Some guys said that my crank may have slipped a little and told me to have it checked before it wipes out my feuling cam plate and oil pump.Im thinking of getting it welded and trued,Im already running a strong 103" Also want to lose the andrews cams and try the red shift cams any thoughts on this plus going back to chains.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
-WOOD
Novice

Well I gotta have a new crankshaft ~ I have a 2004 Ultra Classic with 30,000 miles on it, 95 inch, KB flat top pistons, Andrews 26G cams, Branch Heads, Vance and Hine headers into Samson Wide Ovals, Power Commander, Dual Map, Dyno Jet Quick Shift kit, and a bunch of stuff for ergonomic comfort. The end of my Crank is twisted and running out over 0.100 inch. This was a horrible surprise. My goal last winter was to build a reliable, respectible Two-Up Touring machine with more torque. Then last Saturday returning from the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetary I stopped at an intersection and heard this god aweful pounding in the lower housing of my engine. I brought it to my shop Monday and they found the crank twisted. But, it is what it is and I have a question: What is the difference between a stock Harley Crankshaft versus a S&S Stock Crankshaft? I have been recommended to put a S&S Crankshaft and I will be better off than a Harley crankshaft. Would you please give me your thoughts?

-WOOD

Last edited by -WOOD; 08-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM
jtomhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been reading a lot about this issue lately...

...can you imagine those SE120R's twisting cranks? I wanna build a kick-*** 96", but the more I learn, the more potential problems surface. Damn, even a 96 twisted the crank?

Whatever my build in the end I wind up with, them flywheels is gettin' tigged and cranks leftied and Timkened.

C'mon, Harley! We are carry an unparalleled honor by buying American because we love our country and our American bikes! Honor us back and fix the crank problem with a few spot welds...can't cha at least do that?

The goal of any industrialist is to make the best product possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible. We know you gotta build the product to a price point, Poor Pitiful Harley Warley, but your crank can't handle a 96? That's, as they say, when the accounting department's running the engineering department.

"Gimme an A!" "Gimme an M!" "Gimme an F!" What's that spell? Somethin' that's brown and smells bad.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by bagger76
I just returned from a 4600 mile run to sturgis and back,Its was a blast,But on the way home i started getting a vibration and my gear drive cams are really singing,Some guys said that my crank may have slipped a little and told me to have it checked before it wipes out my feuling cam plate and oil pump.Im thinking of getting it welded and trued,Im already running a strong 103" Also want to lose the andrews cams and try the red shift cams any thoughts on this plus going back to chains.
The new style cam chains and tensioners are working very well on both of my bikes. I don't see myself going with gear drives, why add to the valve train noise if the new version chain / tensioner are working?