Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter noise on 2010 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Starter noise on 2010 Street Glide

Alright, so Im on a trip in Florida and have been hearing noise that sounds like my starter trying to engage. (nope - not hitting the start button). It sounds as if while the bike is started I am hitting the button though. It also seems the noise is gone after a bit of riding. I notice it most at red lights or while taking off and shifting through the first 2 or 3 gears.

I'm going to take it to a dealer out here in Bradenton, but wanted to see if maybe it's something simple? Maybe something small like the start button staying engaged? I mean, the only way for the starter to get power is to hit the button right? Anyone ever have this issue???

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Uhhhh did I stump everyone? No ideas???

Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the bike is idling on the kick stand in Neutral, pull the clutch in. Does it go away?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been into your switch housings for any reason? May have a pinched wire or the start switch is grounding. 1 of our techs went to his elecrtical class and came back with info regarding the run stop switch. I have seen a couple incidents where the start switch has gone bad. But the most common problem is a pinched wire at the control. Usually when someone has been in there and was not carefull when putting the handcontrols back on

Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced a starter solenoid failure on my 1986 FXRD (it wouldn't open up and kept the starter motor running. All power (very high current) to the starter motor comes through the solenoid. The switch on the handle bar simply provides power to the solenoid. Problems is either area can cause problems with the starter motor.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Originally Posted by SOCALHD
Has anyone been into your switch housings for any reason? May have a pinched wire or the start switch is grounding. 1 of our techs went to his elecrtical class and came back with info regarding the run stop switch. I have seen a couple incidents where the start switch has gone bad. But the most common problem is a pinched wire at the control. Usually when someone has been in there and was not carefull when putting the handcontrols back on
Why yes they have! Now that you make me think about it, a couple weeks ago I had my cruise control go crazy on me. Dropped it off at the dealer and i would ASSUME for them to properly check that out that they had to of taken the housing apart.....

Thanks for the info!