Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010 | 12:55 PM
ddm502001
|
Road Warrior

I had considered the pan swap as well but with all that entailed the price on the KW pipes won out. With my ride having the V&H Monsters I really wanted to do the Power Duals as they look so good with the X pipe but just too much cash to change the rest to get them to fit.

The brake pedal issue is not one that can shim out, I had to remove material along the inside of the lowest radius on the arm, I did try my old stock arm and it fit fine just the bulk of the billet is a interference. I already mailed them on this.

Attached Thumbnails New style pipes-006.jpg  

Last edited by ddm502001; 09-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2010 | 04:12 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Egldr05
There are better (IMHO) options for the 09-11 bikes such as the Fuel Moto or VH headers. Either of these will tuck up under the frame higher due to the newer oil pan having a cutout specifically for the clearance.

Rick
Thanks - that's it... that's what permits this rear (upper) pipe to be further down than others I've been looking at. That fixation is due to the stock 2010 2/1 pipe with CAT cooking right behind my heel (Road Glide). Maybe I'm too focused upon heat reduction since the CAT goes away no matter which headpipes I go with.

Last edited by RangeRat; 09-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 04:59 PM
ddm502001
|
Road Warrior

Road test report, 1200 miles and no issues. Did still want to scrape the ACCU clamp on the cross under pipe connection from the front jug on severe leans to the right but no bottom outs, shields all remained tight and MANY, MANY compliments on the styling of them and look I have achieved with them. Horsepower seems unchanged, no severity as to exhaust noises, no engine warning lamp popups, all is good with these!

Old 03-07-2011 | 05:27 PM
07custom
Cruiser

Another option, it takes a little work and an oil pan swap but the 09-11 pipes from V&H and FM can be made to work on the earlier bikes. I looked at the Khrome Werks but due to availability I went with V&H on my 05.

Rick

Could you provide a little more info on the oil pan change out, I'm also considering this. Thanks

Old 03-07-2011 | 05:41 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 07custom
Could you provide a little more info on the oil pan change out, I'm also considering this. Thanks
Not too much too it. Pull the rear tire, drop the oil pan. There's 2 springs inside the pan which need to be compressed with a long screwdriver before you can slide it backwards. The new 09 up pans due to it's baffle design does not have the spring so you don't have to deal with it when putting the pan back in.

You also need to locate, drill, and tap (2) 1/4-20 holes in the back of the tranny. It's best to stop the hole just short of going all the way through the case and use a bottoming tap. It's not a big deal if you go all the way through just use some oil resistant sealant on the screws when attaching the exhaust mount. Some guys intentionally have done it this way.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 03-07-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2011 | 06:19 PM
07custom
Cruiser

Not too much too it. Pull the rear tire, drop the oil pan. There's 2 springs inside the pan which need to be compressed with a long screwdriver before you can slide it backwards. The new 09 up pans due to it's baffle design does not have the spring so you don't have to deal with it when putting the pan back in.

You also need to locate, drill, and tap (2) 1/4-20 holes in the back of the tranny. It's best to stop the hole just short of going all the way through the case and use a bottoming tap. It's not a big deal if you go all the way through just use some oil resistant sealant on the screws when attaching the exhaust mount. Some guys intentionally have done it this way.

Rick

That was fast, thanks! I thought there would be more to it due to the newer frame, etc. I guess I have another job to do. There are not too many pipes for our year except for the true duels and 2-1, this gives many more options. Are there any other difficulties with this?

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:59 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 07custom
Are there any other difficulties with this?
I had to slightly modify the V&H supplied tranny mount. There is a slot in it that had to be opened up a little bit.

The V&H crossover also seems bit long so I really had to work at it to get it into the X pipe far enough. I think the next time I have it apart I'll trim a half inch off it. I might have just got a goofy pipe as someone else with a 2010 told me they had the same issue.

In the end I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

Rick

Old 10-26-2011 | 07:54 AM
Fly Boy01
1st Gear

So if I'm understanding the tips on making a set of 09-11 V&H X pipe system headers work on an earlier bike (mine is a 01 Electraglide), the fix is to replace the oil pan with an 09 pan and drill and tap 2 holes in the pan mounting base (trans boss)?

Also it looks like thos 2 holes are drilled going forward rather than upward (Am I understanding that right?)

Also, what is the purpose on swapping pans? (Does the 09 pan stick down less, backward less or both?)

Could a new stand off bracket be fabricated instead to solve this?

It's hard to understand how this solution was developed and why (and what cheaper alternatives may exist...)

Just picking your brains.....

Old 11-14-2011 | 11:54 AM
Fly Boy01
1st Gear

Any thoughts???

Last edited by Fly Boy01; 11-14-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2011 | 04:41 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fly Boy01
Any thoughts???
The 09 pan has a cutout so the crossunder pipe will clear it. No other way to do that I can see. Stop in at a dealer and take a look under one of the new bikes.

Rick

Quick Reply: New style pipes