Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with removing console...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default help with removing console...

In my attempt to learn to wrench on my own bike (my new-to-me 2000 RKC), I am attempting to check the tightness of the engine mounts. I am following the instructions in my HD service manual and am in the middle of removing the console - the problem is this....after purging the fuel, disconnecting the negative terminal, removing the bolts to the console, cutting the anchors to the harnesses, disconnecting the EVAP hose and fuel guage connection, I STILL CANNOT LIFT OFF THE CONSOLE - there are wires in a bundle coming from the front of the tank and some of the wires from this bundle are connected to the speedometer....and maybe the trip odometer button too? anyways, what's the next step....do I disconnect the "plug" from the speedo? what about the trip OD? and why isn't this mentioned in the manual?

EDIT/ADDITION: looking into it further, it also appears that even if I did disconnect the connector at the speedo and at the trip OD button, there still doesn't appear to be enough length to the cable to move the console to the rear fender as suggested because of other connectors under the console like the ignition, etc.

Last edited by jacknthebox; 06-26-2010 at 07:28 PM.