Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trooper Stopped Me for Headlight Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by el chivito76
how about everyone who hates modulators run super obnoxious loud pipes to be heard and those who want to be seen run modulator. After a year those with least accidents wins.
Don't come to Maine and run loud pipes, they are about to start enforcement of a new law just signed, and effective July 12th concerning loud motorcycles. It gives all LEO's carte blanche to give tickets based on what they think is loud. I know, I know, it's not right, but it's gonna take some court action to get this law stricken from the book. Several local towns/cities have passed ordinances to try control motorcycle noise based on LEO observation and hearing, but all have been struck from the books by judges. It's just too subjective.
In 2012 a new law takes effect concerning state inspection stickers, they will have to be displayed on the rear of the MC, but not on the license plate, and a separate inspection certificate will have to be carried that matches the sticker. Talk about a Gestapo state, welcome to Maine. I'll have to make up a phrigging binder just to carry all the paperwork needed to ride a motorcycle in Maine in the future.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by valvestem
Don't come to Maine and run loud pipes, they are about to start enforcement of a new law just signed, and effective July 12th concerning loud motorcycles. It gives all LEO's carte blanche to give tickets based on what they think is loud. I know, I know, it's not right, but it's gonna take some court action to get this law stricken from the book. Several local towns/cities have passed ordinances to try control motorcycle noise based on LEO observation and hearing, but all have been struck from the books by judges. It's just too subjective.
In 2012 a new law takes effect concerning state inspection stickers, they will have to be displayed on the rear of the MC, but not on the license plate, and a separate inspection certificate will have to be carried that matches the sticker. Talk about a Gestapo state, welcome to Maine. I'll have to make up a phrigging binder just to carry all the paperwork needed to ride a motorcycle in Maine in the future.

Maine, the way life should be

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think headlight modulators are gay.

However, I would've laughed at the cop when he asked me if I wanted a fine and told him that if he wanted to look foolish for writing me a ticket for something that's completely legal, go ahead. Then go to court with the paperwork showing that it's legal and make him look like a dumbass.
Something similar happened to me in '99 in NC. A local cop ticketed me for not having turn signals on the bike. I told him a motorcycle (at that time in NC) didn't have to have turn signals, however if it had turn signals they had to be functional. He said that was BS and ticketed me. I showed up for court with a simple printout of the law I got off the net, the clerk verified that it was correct in less than a minute, and Barney looked like a total ***. The judge even told him to know the law before writing tickets and wasting any more of the court's time.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Personally I think headlight modulators are gay.

However, I would've laughed at the cop when he asked me if I wanted a fine and told him that if he wanted to look foolish for writing me a ticket for something that's completely legal, go ahead. Then go to court with the paperwork showing that it's legal and make him look like a dumbass.
Something similar happened to me in '99 in NC. A local cop ticketed me for not having turn signals on the bike. I told him a motorcycle (at that time in NC) didn't have to have turn signals, however if it had turn signals they had to be functional. He said that was BS and ticketed me. I showed up for court with a simple printout of the law I got off the net, the clerk verified that it was correct in less than a minute, and Barney looked like a total ***. The judge even told him to know the law before writing tickets and wasting any more of the court's time.
Haha good one, too bad it cost you the time though, being as it was totally bogus, but maybe that was the idea, to waste your time.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member

Haha good one, too bad it cost you the time though, being as it was totally bogus, but maybe that was the idea, to waste your time.
No big deal for the cop either, he gets paid to be in court, where we don't.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sure it cost me most of a day to sit and wait my turn, but it was the principle of the thing.
Also, I'm pretty sure it WAS a big deal for the cop since he was obviously embarrassed when the judge scolded him in front of the other cops waiting around and everyone else sitting in the courtroom. That made waiting all day worth it.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Yeah, sure it cost me most of a day to sit and wait my turn, but it was the principle of the thing.
Also, I'm pretty sure it WAS a big deal for the cop since he was obviously embarrassed when the judge scolded him in front of the other cops waiting around and everyone else sitting in the courtroom. That made waiting all day worth it.
Then it was worth it. I'd say he lost a lot of creditability with that particular judge as well. His future cases will probably be looked at with skepticism right up front.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member

Then it was worth it. I'd say he lost a lot of creditability with that particular judge as well. His future cases will probably be looked at with skepticism right up front.
I understand that, I was just saying that there are some cops out there that just don't care about that. They write as many tickets as they can because it's overtime to go to court for them, don't care if they win or lose. This is not the case in my town anymore because a couple of years ago they stopped having the cop go to court and had just one cop there to appear for all tickets. Not fair really, because you can no longer face the cop that gave you the ticket, and the one that is there just reads the reports and testifies based on that. And he already has a good rep with the court because he is there every day.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DanD
It was just this particular county Mike....they were going to get thier 100 bucks no matter what.I wouldn't move away from here,we're one of the most free states left.
Yeah, I wouldn't move either if I were you. I'll be riding Bear Tooth again in a few weeks, hope I don't hit a deer, bear etc!

Wish I had time to answer a few more of you guys. Some interesting posts on the last couple of pages, but I got to go and won't be back for a couple days. By that time this thread will be dead and I promise not to resurect it!! (no I'm not leaving on the bike, wish I was!....18 wheels instead of 2)

Ride Safe!......modulator or no modulator!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM
IrishHarleymin
Advanced

Let me tell you, most cops ride so I would not worry too much. I see cops allday long going to work in uniform. I will never change my pipes, I pay the fine.

Back to the OP, I love the modulator, I noticed them years ago and from the first time I saw one, I knew right away what it was. Safety is the name of the game, I don't know why anyone would hate a device that could help save your life. I would love to put one on my bike, but will probably never get around to it. I actually think that it should be mandatory on all new bikes.

Quick Reply: Trooper Stopped Me for Headlight Modulator