Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS on 07 Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
wiles151
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IDS on 07 Street Glide?

Lookin' for some suggestions about installing IDS in my 07 SG. For a little background, I'm new to HD; previously rode sportbikes, so the big bike ride quality is new ground for me. I've put about 4K miles on the bike and the ride seems good to me. A buddy put IDS on his Ultra and he said it made a big difference. My questions are:

1) Would installing the IDS make a good ride better?

2) Are there any mechanical issues that can result from not installing the IDS or is it just a comfort thing?

3) Pretty handy with a wrench and own a service manual, so do you think I'll have any issues doing it myself? I've read some posts about making sure you put the correct washers in the right locations. Also read about the bolts shearing but some posts suggest incorrect installation as the culprit.

4) Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy? Seem to remember some sellers who would also press the bearing in for you.

I know this topic may be whipped horse, so I appreciate your indulgence. Getting ready for a cross country ride.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search IDS you'll get answers to all those questions and more.

I put it on mine, but I had the dreaded compensator clatter at speed in 6th. It stopped that and to be honest thats about all I noticed. I like the thing fine, but if I didn't have a problem, I wouldn't add it.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

1: NO!
2: 105 years without it cant be wrong
3: If you must, its not hard to do just follow the instructs
4: Again IF you must Zanotti's, Chicago HD, Lake Shore HD

To each his own but I would put that piece of crap on my 07 if you gave me one and if I buy a new bike it will promptly line the bottom of the trash can!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
If you search IDS you'll get answers to all those questions and more.

I put it on mine, but I had the dreaded compensator clatter at speed in 6th. It stopped that and to be honest thats about all I noticed. I like the thing fine, but if I didn't have a problem, I wouldn't add it.
+1 this is the key. If you hear the clatter go ahead and get it. If you hear no clatter, don't waste your time with it.

lp

Old 06-24-2010, 04:53 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The IDS is a good product despite what HogDoc says, it does quiet the drive train down a lot, it won't hurt your bike to not have one, it is easy to install and you can't get the spacers in the wrong place or it won't fit and I would purchase it from Zanotti's.
I have used one for 3 years now and I'm glad I have it and if it's such a bad idea then why has every Harley touring bike built since 08 had one?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Put one on my 07.

Personally, I think it smoothed the bike out quite a bit, made it less "grabby" or "lurchy" at low speed, smoothed out launches from a standing start, and made 6th gear more useable at slightly lower speeds.

As for the install, after reading of several failures of the bearing, combined with some of the methods used to install the bearing other than a bearing press (freezing it, etc) I would just as soon let a dealer/mechanic install it. But thats me.

Wait till you need a new back tire, so the wheel is already off, and it will cut the labor significantly.

Last edited by flyingace; 06-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
if it's such a bad idea then why has every Harley touring bike built since 08 had one?
Same reason behind the helical cut 5th gear, to quiet down the whiners on the customer service line!

Put your bike in neutral and grab hold of the pulley and rock it back and forth, how much is it moving, spec is up to 3/4" of slop. NO THANKS!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

It was a must when I put togeather my '07 Road King. Not only did Zanotti's HD have the best price, but they press the bearing in before they ship it. Save's you the hassle later.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed IDS on my '07 too and was able to detect a bit of reduction to just the general clatter type noises. For me, it was not what I'd call a monumental improvement but it was noticeable, mostly under light throttle (cruise) conditions.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before my 07 arrived i read about all the things to look out for and what to do. i did put a stage 1 and the progressive link, but held off on ids. best advice to me from this forum was to wait and see if i actually had an issue before i spent the time and money. glad i did so far - no issues or noise yet. if i ever notice something i will consider this or the se compensator, until then i will just ride. good luck with your decision.

tin

Quick Reply: IDS on 07 Street Glide?