Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS on 07 Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW, found out something interesting today. They put two different transmissions in the 07 SGs. How do I know this, per my service tech there are two different inner primary bearings that can go in the 07 SG and they ordered the wrong one. They said it just depends on which transmission you have...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The clatter in at least some '07s was ample reason to whine, but apparently not all bikes were afflicted.

STOP WHINING! It's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not sure how or when any slack is supposed to appear, as my bike has none at all after 27k miles and almost three years. Yes, I did the check a while back as per the instructions. Anyway, even if you had to replace the rubber every time you replaced a rear tire it wouldn't add any time or effort to the job, and the rubber-bumper kit is very inexpensive.

I just recently did a 10K on an 08 and checked the pulley, it already had about 3/8" slop.

People bitch that the stock comp is weak and then install a rubber link in the driveline and defend its use!

My tranny made a **** ton of noise from day one, guess what I did? Put Redline in it at 100 miles and rode the **** out of it. And like I said in 07 "it aint gonna break" and guess what, it didnt. The onlt thing I hear is the Road Rage and the cams!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I just recently did a 10K on an 08 and checked the pulley, it already had about 3/8" slop.

People bitch that the stock comp is weak and then install a rubber link in the driveline and defend its use!

My tranny made a **** ton of noise from day one, guess what I did? Put Redline in it at 100 miles and rode the **** out of it. And like I said in 07 "it aint gonna break" and guess what, it didnt. The onlt thing I hear is the Road Rage and the cams!
Mine made a shitload of noise and guess what - it did break.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the IDS on my 07 roadglide,seems to smooth things out a bit,I like to think it is somewhat of a crank saver as I have had several of those go bad on me but this is just a wishful theory of mine,I know that 130 torque when being used probably 75% of the time turns the rubber pucks to hamburg,but as mentioned earlier they are cheap to buy and easy to replace ,never had a problem with the bearing yet and I have about 25,000 miles on the kit.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Weird, I wonder why mine hasn't developed some slack. I'm serious, there is none at all, and when I replaced the tire 2k ago the rubber looked like new. I looked at it closely and would've replace it in a second had the need arisen.

The bearing looked perfect too, although I do worry about it a bit. I've been toying with the idea of replacing it after every tire change (20k with E3 rear), but I can't rationalize changing something that shows no signs of problems. Anyway, how do I know the new bearing wouldn't be defective and fail quickly?

While reading this thread, I've been wondering if the clatter would return if I returned my stock pulley back into service (i.e. no IDS) considering I installed the SE comp last September. I had no comp issues but the primary was apart for a tranny-bearing job at that time and it was too tempting. Unfortunately I can't test the pulley idea since I sold my stock one.

I put some Royal Purple 85w140 in mine early on and it helped, but not enough. I don't think Redline SPH would've done the trick on mine to relieve the clatter, as after installing IDS I couldn't tell any difference between the two gear oils. I'm using RL now because it's cheaper in this area, but that's the only reason, as both worked very well.

Like FX4 my tranny also broke, but long after installing IDS. The mainshaft bearing came apart, but I have no evidence the noise I heard pre-IDS was in any way related to it. IDS was installed at 9700 and I started hearing a while in the tranny at 16k. It whined for another 16k and got worse over time, and that's when we dug into the tranny and found the problem. Since there was no hard evidence (i.e. metal on the magnet) we blamed the belt and/or rear tire for months.

Last edited by iclick; 06-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FX4
BTW, found out something interesting today. They put two different transmissions in the 07 SGs. How do I know this, per my service tech there are two different inner primary bearings that can go in the 07 SG and they ordered the wrong one. They said it just depends on which transmission you have...
So some primaries from the factory had the wrong bearing installed? That might explain a few things. Mine was apart at 32k for the tranny bearing job and the tech said it looked perfect.

Last edited by iclick; 06-25-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

So some trannies from the factory had the wrong bearing installed? That might explain a few things. Mine was apart at 32k for the tranny bearing job and the tech said it looked perfect.
No they are actually two different sizes right down to the size of the race. One is a -6 part and the other is a -8 part.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wiles151
Lookin' for some suggestions about installing IDS in my 07 SG. For a little background, I'm new to HD; previously rode sportbikes, so the big bike ride quality is new ground for me. I've put about 4K miles on the bike and the ride seems good to me. A buddy put IDS on his Ultra and he said it made a big difference. My questions are:

1) Would installing the IDS make a good ride better?

2) Are there any mechanical issues that can result from not installing the IDS or is it just a comfort thing?

3) Pretty handy with a wrench and own a service manual, so do you think I'll have any issues doing it myself? I've read some posts about making sure you put the correct washers in the right locations. Also read about the bolts shearing but some posts suggest incorrect installation as the culprit.

4) Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy? Seem to remember some sellers who would also press the bearing in for you.

I know this topic may be whipped horse, so I appreciate your indulgence. Getting ready for a cross country ride.

Thanks!

Chris

1. no
2. don't know. Don't care

Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FX4
No they are actually two different sizes right down to the size of the race. One is a -6 part and the other is a -8 part.
So are we talking about the primary or tranny mainshaft bearings? I said "tranny" in the first sentence of my post above but meant to say "primary" and changed it. So if HD used two different trannies in '07, why would that impact the primary bearing, if that's the one we're talking about?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Weird, I wonder why mine hasn't developed some slack. I'm serious, there is none at all, and when I replaced the tire 2k ago the rubber looked like new. I looked at it closely and would've replace it in a second had the need arisen.

I think it might be your admitance to riding very easy!

The bearing looked perfect too, although I do worry about it a bit. I've been toying with the idea of replacing it after every tire change (20k with E3 rear), but I can't rationalize changing something that shows no signs of problems. Anyway, how do I know the new bearing wouldn't be defective and fail quickly?

Most of the failures I ve seen the seal was out on the spacer allowing the bearing to get full of water and rust, keep an eye on the seal, if it moves free or grease is coming out of it, replace it!

While reading this thread, I've been wondering if the clatter would return if I returned my stock pulley back into service (i.e. no IDS) considering I installed the SE comp last September. I had no comp issues but the primary was apart for a tranny-bearing job at that time and it was too tempting. Unfortunately I can't test the pulley idea since I sold my stock one.

I put some Royal Purple 85w140 in mine early on and it helped, but not enough. I don't think Redline SPH would've done the trick on mine to relieve the clatter, as after installing IDS I couldn't tell any difference between the two gear oils. I'm using RL now because it's cheaper in this area, but that's the only reason, as both worked very well.

Like FX4 my tranny also broke, but long after installing IDS. The mainshaft bearing came apart, but I have no evidence the noise I heard pre-IDS was in any way related to it. IDS was installed at 9700 and I started hearing a while in the tranny at 16k. It whined for another 16k and got worse over time, and that's when we dug into the tranny and found the problem. Since there was no hard evidence (i.e. metal on the magnet) we blamed the belt and/or rear tire for months.

Which bearing on the main shaft? Theres the mian drive gear bearing, 2 needle bearings inside the main drive gear that the main shaft rides in and then the right side door bearing.

Quick Reply: IDS on 07 Street Glide?