Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS on 07 Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
. Not only did Zanotti's HD have the best price, but they press the bearing in before they ship it. Save's you the hassle later.
Forgot about that.... good tip.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my '07 Ultra pre-owned with only 4000 miles and it does not have the IDS added. It did have the SEAC backing plate and filter upgrade and V&H slip-ons. I'll have 10,000 in another week or two. I've been happier than a hog in s#%t with my bike but I'm wondering if I got a "dud" or a "lemon" cause I'm not having any of the issues the guys here complain about.

HAPPY-HAPPY, JOY-JOY!!!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was ready to get rid of my 07 CVO Ultra until I had the IDS installed. It made a world of difference in the noise and smoothness in fifth and sixth gears. They wouldn't have made it a standard item on the 08s if it weren't needed. Just be cautious if you have someone put a rear tire on. Mine was missing a spacer and I suspect the dealer left it out when I had a rear tire installed sometime after the IDS install. The result was a damaged rear axle that had to be replaced. Apparently not many of the dealers and indys know about the retrofit IDS for the 07s, thus the spacer falls out when the axle is removed for tire replacement and they don't realize it has happened. The 08 IDS systems are actually part of the rear wheel and there are no spacers to fall off when the axle is removed.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought an early '07. As it says in my sig. IDS Best investment. Bought mine with bearing installed from Zanotti's. Installed it myself. Everybody has to make the decision themselves. Some members will tell you it's not necessary but it's become standard equipment on all Harley touring bikes since 2008. Some members will tell you the 5th gear whine is no big deal but Harley went to helical cut gears in 2010 to eliminate the whine. Does anyone know of an instance where Harley has made changes to a design that didn't save them $'s and wasn't necessary? My .02

Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
I was ready to get rid of my 07 CVO Ultra until I had the IDS installed. It made a world of difference in the noise and smoothness in fifth and sixth gears. They wouldn't have made it a standard item on the 08s if it weren't needed. Just be cautious if you have someone put a rear tire on. Mine was missing a spacer and I suspect the dealer left it out when I had a rear tire installed sometime after the IDS install. The result was a damaged rear axle that had to be replaced. Apparently not many of the dealers and indys know about the retrofit IDS for the 07s, thus the spacer falls out when the axle is removed for tire replacement and they don't realize it has happened. The 08 IDS systems are actually part of the rear wheel and there are no spacers to fall off when the axle is removed.
Incorrect, 08 it is still a bolt on deal AND there is a thin spacer outside the IDS bearing.

09-10 it IS part of the wheel.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wiles151
1) Would installing the IDS make a good ride better?
Not necessarily. If you don't have clatter in the drive-train at relatively low RPMs in 5th and/or 6th gears I wouldn't bother.

2) Are there any mechanical issues that can result from not installing the IDS or is it just a comfort thing?
In the absence of any data as to the mechanical implications of having vs. not having IDS, I would think of it is a comfort issue if you have the rocks-in-a-can clatter.

3) Pretty handy with a wrench and own a service manual, so do you think I'll have any issues doing it myself?
If you can remove and re-install the wheel you can do it.

4) Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy? Seem to remember some sellers who would also press the bearing in for you.
Zanotti's has the best price I know of, about 35% off MSRP.

Now, from personal experience it made a big difference in my bike. Mine had the rocks-in-a-can rattles in spades and no brand of tranny or primary oil made much difference. Adding IDS smoothed the drive-train and totally removed the clatter. It even reduced the 5th-gear whine, which never bothered me at all. OTOH if you are happy with the feel of your bike without it, don't bother installing it, as it adds more things that could potentially go wrong, mostly notably the bearing. In almost three years and 27k miles I've had no trouble at all with the IDS, and the rubber bumpers still have no slack in them.

Last edited by iclick; 06-24-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
2: 105 years without it cant be wrong
Well, they got it wrong at least in some of the '07 bikes. Mine is a good example, as the clatter in 5th and 6th gears at low but usable RPMs was unacceptable. IDS made a big improvement in my case.

Last edited by iclick; 06-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Same reason behind the helical cut 5th gear, to quiet down the whiners on the customer service line!
The clatter in at least some '07s was ample reason to whine, but apparently not all bikes were afflicted.

Put your bike in neutral and grab hold of the pulley and rock it back and forth, how much is it moving, spec is up to 3/4" of slop. NO THANKS!
STOP WHINING! It's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not sure how or when any slack is supposed to appear, as my bike has none at all after 27k miles and almost three years. Yes, I did the check a while back as per the instructions. Anyway, even if you had to replace the rubber every time you replaced a rear tire it wouldn't add any time or effort to the job, and the rubber-bumper kit is very inexpensive.

Last edited by iclick; 06-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7/06 made 07 No clatter, No 5 gear wine, No ids, No problems

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Not necessarily. If you don't have clatter in the drive-train at relatively low RPMs in 5th and/or 6th gears I wouldn't bother.

In the absence of any data as to the mechanical implications of having vs. not having IDS, I would think of it is a comfort issue if you have the rocks-in-a-can clatter.

If you can remove and re-install the wheel you can do it.

Zanotti's has the best price I know of, about 35% off MSRP.

Now, from personal experience it made a big difference in my bike. Mine had the rocks-in-a-can rattles in spades and no brand of tranny or primary oil made much difference. Adding IDS smoothed the drive-train and totally removed the clatter. It even reduced the 5th-gear whine, which never bothered me at all. OTOH if you are happy with the feel of your bike without it, don't bother installing it, as it adds more things that could potentially go wrong, mostly notably the bearing. In almost three years and 27k miles I've had no trouble at all with the IDS, and the rubber bumpers still have no slack in them.
Well iclick you and I both had the clatter and we both have had the inner primary bearing fail. Mine is being installed right now. Apparently I haven't had a race for quite a while. So you tell me if IDS doesn't need installed. I'm thinking all that pounding when the bike was new contributed to the bearing failures.

Quick Reply: IDS on 07 Street Glide?