Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To CVO Or Not To CVO

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you tried to make a stock bike look/run like a CVO, you'd have a lot more in it, and would get almost nothing back on the add ons if you sold or traded the bike. So the CVO is not a bad choice if you want and like all the options, and plan to keep it fairly stock after you buy it.

I would be hesistant to buy one because I end up having to change a lot of stuff just to get the bike to fit me correctly. Also I like the look of all that chrome in the showroom, but in reality I'd much rather ride my bike than wash it.

Either way is not a bad choice, you just have to decide what's important. BTW, I've seen that CVO SG at the dealer's, it does turn your head.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Are you planning on riding it? If so, don't even think about resale, bikes are terrible investments, and CVOs don't get much better prices. The CVOs are dogs, so if you want to go fast, get a regular bike and do a decent build to it for half of what the entry fee for the CVO is. Do you like the CVO styling? To me, it's overdone.

A bike either speaks to you, or it doesn't. With the exception of the blacked-out CVO Ultra, I've never seen a CVO bike that does anything for me. That Ultra is nice, but the price is a joke.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got just enough bling with my limited. i do like the idea of it, but that extra 10k will benefit me much more towards my retirement years. would still be thinking of the same things as my limited to add - stage 1 and cams.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally don't think the CVO's have a better resale value because there is a smaller market for them. I see CVO's stay on the resale market a lot longer than standard bikes. Most people who buy the CVO off the floor don't really care about how much they can sell them for later. However you have to buy the bike you like and some of the CVO's are pretty nice looking, but much more pricey.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have more money in mine than a CVO cost. Buy the CVO if you are planning most of those upgrades. I should have. lol
You will still want a new exhaust system probably and SEST................and the upgrade kit for the CVO 110 motor which ends up around 114hp.

The one year older won't matter, if the '09 trips your trigger.

Truth be told, the best looking bike Harley ever made was the '09 CVO Road Glide in Silver.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
up2nogood22
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2009 CVO Roadglide about 3 months ago. I kept my 2008 RG and rode them side by side until I sold the 08 last week.

After owning the CVO, I know I made the right choice. Much better bike, and the 110 is no dog, it needs what all new Harleys need to wake them up. I added slip ons and a TTS (Stage 1 filter comes stock). It'll eat my 96 and my buddy's 10 Ultra Limited 103 alive.

There are lots of litle things on the CVOs that go unnoticed: Stainless Lines, Oil Cooler, Full Hydraulic clutch, ABS etc.. to go with all the fancy bodywork and paint. They really are a great value.

I've seen the SG you are looking at, and it is a sharp bike. Next to my RG, its the nicest CVO in my opinion.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

the spiced rum is beautiful. are all the problems with the 110 worked out? i don't know. call fuel moto and see what can be done to the 96 to spice it up. if you are torn, at a $1500 discount, i would get the cvo.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can afford it, go for it!!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 547 Posts

CVO....you will end up with as much $$ in the other one anyway.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
kazanimo
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was at laconia last week spent a lot of time at harley road tour (which was a first class setup) i road the cvo street glide for about an hour or about 45 miles. one thing i would look into is the hydralic clutch i really didnt like the feel and got a lot of weird looks when i brought that bike back smelling of burnt clutch. but thats just me so i myself have ruled out the cvo although the power was very nice and it is great looking bike. i am waiting to see the merlot myself. good luck and there is always black...

Quick Reply: To CVO Or Not To CVO