Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tensioners goin out????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tensioners goin out????

so a local indy shop tells me that about every 40k miles the cam tensioners go out on the big twins and even more so if you have the t/c 88 bored to a 95.

so the indy shop says best thing to do is go with a set of gear drive cams... $750 just in parts...

i didnt do the bore kit on my bike 06 electra classic. so im lookin into the gear drive kits but need to know what my compression is...

this message is a partial venting thread

bassically what have you guys done out there with these kits and with 30k on your bike?

thanks guys

Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with gear driven cams at 35K...No more worries about cam chain tensioners! The stock compression ratio is 9:1...The indy should know that.

Last edited by Road Ranger; 06-23-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Just throw in the upgraded hydraulic tensioner kit and keep your stock cams if you want.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... moreso if you have the BB? Do you (he) have some kind of proof on that? He doesn't know what the stock compression is?

Do what dawg says AND buy a rubber mallet.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my '05 I found pieces of tensioner in my oil filter (cut it open regularly) at 17K miles. We found so much material the we dropped the oil pan to clean it out.

Decided to go ahead with the 95" cams and drive gears while we had it this far down. That was 33K miles ago and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You have several options. Doesn't matter what tune your bike is at. You should seriously consider having the condition of your tensioners checked, which costs a little labour if you get someone to do it. If they are OK you can carry on riding. If they are worn you could replace them with the same parts, but have them checked at regular intervals. If they are seriously worn you could install the later hydraulic kit (with improved oil pump) as dawg suggests, or a set of gear-driven cams. To fit those requires new cams as well as a stack of other parts and that is the most expensive way ahead. Your crankshaft must also have a run-out less than the factory tolerance, something that should be checked before buying the parts!

Personally I plan to fit the hydraulic kit when the time comes. I will also fit a set of mild cams to spruce my bike up a little, but that's all.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

At 40k i put in S&S 510 gear driven cams, tensioners were about 80% gone. Could not be happier with the performance, those cams really woke the 88 up.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Drail
Advanced

Had a local indy put the Hydraulic Tensioner upgrade in my 06 EG @ 32K miles.We were amazed at the very little wear on my tensioner shoes. The wear was less than his @ the same milage and he runs synthetic oil. I've always used fossil oil. Local Dealer says they changed the material for the shoes in 05 to make them last longer. I am very pleased with the upgrade as you get a better oil pump. While you are in there change out the cam bearing with better Timken bearings.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
trailey97
Tourer

good info thanks.

went to harley today and got them to check out my cam tensioners for free. they say everything looks great.

ive been told that the best way to go is the s&s 510 gear drives, especially if you have the motor bored to a 95"

it just seems wierd that there is so much noise comin from my motor, but im kinda thinking it might be the chain in the primary is loose.

for those have done the gear drive kits.....
where and how much did you get the kit for?
did yall do it yourselves?

thank you once again guys

Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by trailey97

for those have done the gear drive kits.....
where and how much did you get the kit for?
did yall do it yourselves?

thank you once again guys
On my 04 I did the Andrews 26 gear drive kit. I did it myself. I got the kit off ebay from American Classic Motors...click LINK. Kit included all that I needed. This was back in 2006. I also had cylinders bored and put in SE flattops and sent the heads off to Big Boyz for a street port.

Quick Reply: cam tensioners goin out????