Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle Bag Latch Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Saddle Bag Latch Spring Install

Gentlemen, One of my saddlebag latches has been floppy so I decided to change the corroded and broken latch springs on both bags. I don't intend for this to be a "How To" thread but just want to pass info and pictures on "How to do it" minus the details. The PDF for step-by-step instructions is located here.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02671.pdf

The kit and associated part numbers depicted below. Don't know how much they cost, I traded my brother in law a few bottles of Soju for them. $10 in Soju.
Name:  DSCN2576.jpg
Views: 4550
Size:  79.2 KB

Follow the PDF directions and you should have the lids off in no time. It's good if you have a buddy to hold onto the lid while you unbolt everything. I laid everything out on the kitchen table.
Name:  DSCN2585.jpg
Views: 4340
Size:  115.8 KB

The broken spring. These things really corrode. One spring was busted and the other was ready to break. Nothing else was rusted, just the springs.
Name:  DSCN2584.jpg
Views: 4745
Size:  93.9 KB

The hardest part was prying open the end of the hinge to free up room for the pin to slide out. Take your time and work slowly, it will open up. Use a flat head screw driver as shown in the PDF instructions.
Name:  DSCN2586.jpg
Views: 5714
Size:  89.0 KB

Before you know it, you have new springs installed. Make sure you install them so they look like this.
Name:  DSCN2592.jpg
Views: 5299
Size:  90.9 KB

End result: saddle bag lid latches that snap in place like they were new. Remarkable difference.
This is a pretty easy job so grab a cold one and get it done. And for you Master Mechanics who have been doing this for years, I didn't know how to do this so hopefully this post will help someone.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kilo6:
DynaFatGlide (05-12-2019), JPridmore (03-13-2023), Jrsess (05-21-2016)
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your saddle bag hold down clamp looks like it works well.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Those springs are often overlooked by the DIY'er for a shot of lube at every service.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 AM
HarleyBT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This place is great!! A few days ago I realized that one of my saddlebag lids was all sloppy. Further investigation revealed the little f***ing spring was broken. I just assumed that I would now have to live with that. Had a flash and typed it into the forum and viola!! With the above pictures and the official instruction sheet I just finished changing both springs with very little trouble and only pinched myself once. It did take me a few minutes to realize I had to "heave around" on the spring and twist it into position while sliding the pin back in. I also put a dab of lithium grease on each one to try and keep them from corroding. Just in time for our second annual group ride to the U.P.
Thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reminder. It's about time I go lube up my latch springs.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah mine broke on a trip but still had enough over center to make it home a few days later..

it was a little puzzle at first...
I lubed mine alot but still rusted...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks like you got a little orange buddy there to keep you company! Don't think I have ever witnessed a cat lying in a saddlebag top lid b4! For ANY reason!!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
HarleyBT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did notice on the new springs there appears to be a "shipalt" and the little arms now have an offset to lay flatter on the latch. Maybe the MoCo finally got the design correct. Time will tell.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How ironic, my right bag has this same problem. Been meaning to deal with it, but with this info and prompting i'll be doing it this week!

Thanks so much for sharing... This forum is priceless.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't forget to check all the screws that hold the latch on the lid as well. Lots of cases of them falling out one by one and the owner doesn't notice until their lid is bouncing down Route 1A....

Quick Reply: Saddle Bag Latch Spring Install