Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil Consumption

So the other day I decide to check my oil as I always do before a ride, it's not registering on the dip stick. I add a quart, still nothing! After adding another quart, finally it reflects on the dip stick, but barely. So I only had two quarts in it? What the heck??? All of a sudden I use oil? Prior to this all was good when I checked the oil. So I go to the dealer and ask them on oil consumption and they say "one quart every thousand miles is acceptable per HD". I told them that dosen't even come close to my standands! Right now the bike is on the books for it's 10k service. The tech said it's either valve guides or rings. He said he would do a comp test when I bring it in. Man this is our first Harley and it's not look good. Already thinking about a new top end?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

You've got an '05, which means you've got leaking valve guide seals. It was, at one point, covered by the MoCo, but probably not any more.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Either way, I'm already thinking about a new top end $$$ and what kinda build to do that will suit my needs. It looks like my home work is cut out for me and I'll need to start stock piling parts.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Train said...It was a pretty common problem with the 05's although my bike has never used a drop of oil...Knock on wood! Good luck with your build!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Well after the purchase of the bike last year, we found out that it was also notorious for cam tensioner problems! So I guess I have two strikes agaist me already..??

So I guess another question I have is; when I do the valves or worst case scenario, have top end issues, do I also take care of the cam tensioner?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I know that GM, probably Ford and Chrysler also have 1qrt/1000 mile policy.

Beary

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Oregon
Well after the purchase of the bike last year, we found out that it was also notorious for cam tensioner problems! So I guess I have two strikes agaist me already..??

So I guess another question I have is; when I do the valves or worst case scenario, have top end issues, do I also take care of the cam tensioner?
Depends on how they look, 10,000 miles ain't a lot but If they look perfect you may be fine. If not, I'd upgrade to the new hydraulics especially if I were going to keep the bike for many years.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I replaced everything and went to a gear-driven 103.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by carpetride
Depends on how they look, 10,000 miles ain't a lot but If they look perfect you may be fine. If not, I'd upgrade to the new hydraulics especially if I were going to keep the bike for many years.
Difinatly hydraulics! Right now were thinking that we will keep it and get another one down the road. If we have to put seriuos money into it now, we will more than likely just build it to my desire and try and do it right the first time. As for all the differnt combonations, I have no clue for direction to go? It will be a do-it-yourself project though!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 PM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the valve seals. I have one of the notorious 05 models that had that problem. It wasn't that the valve seals were bad it was the installation of the seals that was the problem.
All of my oil was going through the rear cylinder. I replaced the seals on the rear cylinder only. That was several thousand miles ago, no more oil usage. Hint, read your spark plugs. See if one or both has build up on it.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption