Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it really matter how I turn off the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way, you are stopping the electrical current. The thumb switch is just there for quick, emergency use without removing one hand from the handlebar. Simple as that.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Key Switch every time...

There is always a chance you might forget to tun off the key switch if you walk away. At the kill switch, the headlights are still on...kills the battery.

I think the kill switch is a good secondary device...but isn't necessary.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Justintime
Intermediate

I agree it really makes no difference to the bike, off is off. Having just attended a MSF "Basic Rider Course" so I could get my base stickers I can tell you they preach using the kill switch so you don't have to remove your hand from the bars before the bike is shut down. Its a safety thing.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

"Failure to use the kill switch could lead to loss of control, resulting in death or serious injury."

Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't think my kill switch has been in the stop position on any of my Harleys more than a few times over the course of the last 20 years. I actually use it on the Uly fairly often since it's easier than the key.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 AM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bike doesn't care what you use, as previously mentioned the end result is the same with either switch. Most rider training classes stress the kill switch, I think mainly so you are in the habit of useing it should ann emergency arrise.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I always wondered why the owners manual says use the kill switch. It's got to be a safety thang............should have known!!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 AM
merkinman
Advanced

What's the diff?????

Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM
gunnerglide
Advanced

I agree it doesn't really matter either way. I use the kill switch just because that's the way they said do it. Now it's just a habit. How about this though? I think if you use the kill switch and if you're lazy like me then it adds another layer of protection in case you want to run into the convenience store real quick and you don't feel like pulling your key out and locking the ignition switch. You never know when one of those people who are always lazing around outside the store might get a flashback or a wild hair and jump on your bike and takeoff. If the kill switch is on they might not be able to figure it out by the time you look outside and notice something. Most people don't even know what the kill switch is for. Paranoid maybe? Just another reason for the kill switch use. Secretly i wish it had a keyed ignition that the key stays in all the time while the bike is running. You get off and turn off the ignition with the key and then remove it and walk away, too simple.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Does it make a difference to the bike? No. Does it make a difference at all? I think so. Its mainly a safety thing. If you ALWAYS use the shut off switch when you want to kill the engine, then it becomes second nature. The best thing about it being second nature is that if something happens and you need to kill the engine in a hurry, you don't even have to think about it or panic, you just do it. If you never use it, in a panic situation, you'll fumble around. Here's the proof...how many times have you ever tried to use the horn, and end up just hitting the left signal instead?

Quick Reply: Does it really matter how I turn off the bike?