Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

UnderArmor HeatGear!!! The best stuff out there. Skivvies under my Tourmaster pants , shirt under my Olympia jacket. Lots o fluid. Sucks but doable.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

As long as I can keep air over the fins and not get tied up to much traffic, I don't worry about the temperature to much. On the Gulf Coast, heat indices hit 100 a lot.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
sportyguy69
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I freeze water bottles the night before, always wear long sleeve tshirt to keep the sun off my skin. Plus the shirt soaks up the sweat and the breeze helps keep me cool. Take breaks in the shade. Drink lots of water.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Don1220
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been out with it in the 90"s...Take water breaks and as said before avoid traffic and stop lites....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
As most of the advice here, drink lots and lots of water. The sunscreen is a must. When I came across this post it brought me right back to last years ride to Sturgis. The temps were without a doubt pushing 105-110 with 30mph crosswinds. The best way to compare it is to open up your oven door, I am not joking it was brutal.
Welcome to my world with the exception of the cross winds..... Gonna be a buck nine tomorrow..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
I ride to work at least three days a week in the AZ summer heat. It's around 105 during the hottest part of the day, but will be climbing up later in the week. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. The face shield actually draws the heat away from your face. You really feel the heat in your face if you have the shield up. I also wear a mesh jacket so the air goes thru and keeps you a lot cooler than you might think.
I would not have believed this until last weekend. In an effort to start wearing more safety gear we bought Fieldsheer mesh jackets in the bright yellow. Saturday with 100 degree weather and 115 with the index, at 35mph I was cooler than without the FF helmet and the mesh jacket. even stopped was a little better than without the mesh because the sun wasn't beaming directly on my skin. Now I have to get some riding pants with the mesh and vents.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if it is too hot, just ride a little faster to get more wind moving.. it is never too hot, but i have never seen much over 100.. so, mabye it could be somewhere

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sportyguy69
I freeze water bottles the night before, always wear long sleeve tshirt to keep the sun off my skin. Plus the shirt soaks up the sweat and the breeze helps keep me cool. Take breaks in the shade. Drink lots of water.
+1....I do the same!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in one of the hottest places in the nation in N.W. AZ along the Colorado River. It gets between 113 and 120 all through July and August. I've learned a few things over the 5 summers I've been here and most have been mentioned in this thread.

1. Pre-Hydrate. Drink lots of water before you go out and keep drinking it all day. If you get thirsty; you're already dehydrated. If you don't pee; you're dehydrated. Dehydration and heat exhaustion can kill. If you ever get heat exhaustion you're more likely to get it again.

2. Wear sunscreen but cover your skin anyway. Any exposed skin will speed up dehydration and soak up the sun's radiating heat. You will feel hotter when you stop.

A full-faced/modular vented white helmet is best but a doo rag, goggles, and some kind of face mask will make a huge difference on how hot you feel when you stop and how fast you dehydrate.

Long-sleeve white shirts are excellent to keep the sun off the arms and slow down dehydration. This year I'm trying something a little different and although it looks funky it works great. They are elasticized white sleeves for use in sports. They just take a few seconds to put on and slip off in a second. They take up hardly any room in a saddlebag. You can wet them for extra cooling. Most of all I like wearing just a short sleeved shirt when I get where I'm going so I don't retain the heat in the air conditioned spot I've stopped to cool off and drink more fluids.

The mesh jackets with cooling vests are favored as well. I tried just the vest but it dried out in minutes and was useless after that. I'm learning the mesh jacket slows the drying but not the cooling so I'm going to revisit that idea.

Drinking fluids a lot cannot be over emphasized. Riding in the heat is not the time to be fashionable. You can do that when you're stopped.

Riding when it's 120 outside is just plain foolish though. Riding early or overnight when cross country riding is best over all. Personally, during the hottest months, I like to be done with out-of-town riding by 1 PM.

Great thread!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
MercMarauder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from Las Vegas - was there last week on a business trip. I decided to do the HOG Fly & Ride and had a bike rented Wednesday noon to Friday noon. The temps in Las Vegas were 108, 105, and 102 those three days with brutal sunshine. I had never ridden in desert heat before and was apprehensive. I brought along a Silver Eagle Cooling Vest, two cooling neckties, and a mesh jacket. I did fine. It was not all that comfortable but it was doable - better than I expected. I endorse the cooling vest and neckties for making it bearable. Without a mesh jacket the cooling vest does dry fairly quickly but keeps you cool. Sometimes I rode with the jacket on top of the vest and sometimes not. When the vest dried, I watered it up again at stops.

All in all a very fun experience. The least fun was sitting at downtown LV stop lights at 108 degrees! I put on over 300 miles in those two days with just trips out and back to the hotel. Las Vegas H-D dealer took care of me well.

Quick Reply: Riding in the Heat