Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Recent article on Yahoo, I think, about sun screen. Evidently it may not be good for you. Also need to re-apply every 2 hours if you do use it. Make sure it protects against UAV and UAB (I think) rays. Said the best thing to do is cover up. If you think about it, that is what the old timers and folks that live in deserts do.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Missouri if we don't ride when it's hot and humid we would never get the chance. I just think of those frigid winter days in January when the bike is parked and it seems the winter will never end and riding in the heat doesn't seem bad at all.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever tried riding along the 101 and through LA on a hot summer's day. WOW!
Dehydration happens so fast; it's scary!
Electrolytes are extremely important; not just water - I know from personal experience.
I have to agree with previous writers/riders; ride earlier in the day and STOP when it gets too hot - is the best advice.
Ride In Peace

Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, stay hydrated and stay away from stop & go traffic. It may not be as fun when it's 96, but it's still a blast. I'm approaching 53,000 miles on my '07 and it ain't from looking at it in the garage.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wife and I rode all day Sunday where temps reached 90+. We wear armored mesh jackets that keeps the sun off you and allows all the air to come in. Drank lots of water and we were just fine... and sweaty. We ride when we can.. a hot day beats a cold snow covered winter one.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife and I are sold on the light colored ventilated jackets. They are best at highway speeds but they do work to keep the sun directly off your skin. We still use plenty of sunscreen and hydrate as everyone else suggests.

We did 450 miles on Sunday in central Texas at near 100 depending on where we were and we did just fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend here in Florida I did 150 miles with a friend. We left at 9 AM with the temp already in the low 80s. Stopped for lunch in Cocoa Beach and the temp was 92 and, with the dewpoint/humidity factored in, was an apparent 106 degrees F. We've learned over the years several things to keep going in the heat. First, stay hydrated. If you are getting thirsty you're already dehydrated. Drink water and sport drinks only. Beer and soda actually dehydrate you more. You need to replace the electrolytes and fluids you are losing through perspiration. Beer and soda taste good but they won't quench your thirst. We carry tour pack coolers with a couple of waters and some of those powdered drink mixes to add to it on breaks. Second, stay covered up, especially on the moving bike. You may think it's crazy, but you will actually be cooler riding with a long-sleeve t-shirt and light jacket instead of just short-sleeves. When you ride in just the t-shirt your perspiration is evaporated by the wind from your speed before it has a chance to cool you. By layering in light clothing the sweat stays next to your skin longer and has the intended result of cooling you as it evaporates slower. Kind of like the Arabs and Bedouins in the dessert. Those robes they wear have a purpose. Finally, cover your head. As the sun shines and heats your skull and brain, more and more blood is diverted to your head in order to try and cool the brain, and less is available for cooling your core body. Wearing a helmet, do-rag, baseball cap, or other head cover helps to keep your head and brain cooler. Following these tips we can ride all day long in the heat with little affect.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Going to be 104 here in Tucson today, wife and I are going out for a ride shortly. Lots of water, Hydration vests, mesh jackets are all a must. I also avoid in town riding this time of year and try my best to ride early and late and rely on the car for non-pleasure trips.

We don't have the camelback, but use water bottle holders that attach to the saddlebag guards.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I remember complaining about the temps in April, WHEN will it ever get warm? Now with the month of June a heatwave of above 90 degrees most every day, I am complaining about the heat. No, not really. Just do a lot of early AM rides or late PM rides, crawl under a rock during the mid-day. Love it! Cant remember the last time I saw it rain.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't bet a mesh jacket. Mine is a tourmaster intake. Rode in 106 west Texas plains with it and it works great. Not as good in the humid weather here in Lousyana. Been 95 almost every day of June. It still beats not being covered in the sun.

Quick Reply: Riding in the Heat