Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHoss
One thing I found that helps is to wet your clothing.Put a vest over a wet t shirt to keep it wet a little longer.I even soak my pants,by the time they are dry it is time to stop again.

Why was I making this so hard? ........rofl

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't love it, but, if I were to not ride because it's hot, cold, raining, ect., I would never get to ride here in KY. Seems like it's either hot as hell, freezing, or raining around here most of the time. I LOVE to ride, so I just suck it up and goooooooooooooooooo.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It's 60 degrees here in Washington with a chance of more rain. Ride in the rain or the sun? Things that make you go 'Hummmmm'....

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
TheDarkKnight
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride to work at least three days a week in the AZ summer heat. It's around 105 during the hottest part of the day, but will be climbing up later in the week. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. The face shield actually draws the heat away from your face. You really feel the heat in your face if you have the shield up. I also wear a mesh jacket so the air goes thru and keeps you a lot cooler than you might think.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To be cool.....forget about looking cool. Wear long sleeve white shirts from Companies like Under Armor, not cotton as cotton does not wick away moisture. Same goes for underwear. Forget jeans, same as above. Get a pair of textile riding pants, ones with vents everywhere. Added bonus, most come with armor. A full face helmet is surprisingly more comfortable than a half in the hot sun. Had to try it to believe it. For long trips I will now always wear a FF. Products from Companies like this
http://store.polarsoftice.com/polars...?idCategory=15
have been proven to work. The neck wrap in particular works well as it cools the blood.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good advice, but I went for a ride this weekend and it was close to 100 degrees. Need lots of baby powder for the backside and plenty of sunscreen. Have to take advantage of riding time when you can. I would rather ride in the heat then in the close to freezing temps of winter.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been 95-100 here in the midwest for a week or better now with bad humidity too. I always ride with a mesh jacket. Actually keeps you cooler and protected from the sun. Drink lots of water. Heat doesn't seem to bother me all that much.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Chuck Guitar
Advanced

I remember riding through Kansas in '02 on a trip back from Ca. We tried everything.100+ degrees. We had to get up everyday and ride because of jobs back in Tennessee. The best we could come up with was lots of water and to stop a lot and soak each other with water from a hose at gas stations ( wether we needed gas or not). Another option ( I didn't try) is to stick a popcicle up your **** and cool from the inside out.....

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
bsps1111
Advanced

An earlier post described what my wife and I did on a trip thru California desert. We stopped every 45 minutes or so at gas stations to use the bathroom to remove our shirts and run the top half under the sink faucet. A bit on the cold side to put the shirt back on but was like riding with a/c until the the shirt dried. Just repeat.

Quick Reply: Riding in the Heat