Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I wear a light color long sleeve t-shirt ot a fishing shirt style...vented like a Columbia shirt... SPF 50 water, water, water...i carry a cooler full of water and drinks. If i ride solo it's bungeed to the seat or on my trailer hitch rack.
Not to derail the thread, but tell me about this trailer hitch rack....That sounds interesting.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Riding in hot weather is mostly a matter of conditioning yourself to high temperatures. I've found that adjusting to higher humidity is the most difficult. If you think it's hot riding in Missouri, you should take off out across the desert around Needles California in 105 degree plus temperature. I made that mistake once.

Last edited by shortride; 07-08-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Used to,but now it's just not fun,especially no relief and worse when stopped.Plus hot rodded Harleys have a tougher time surviving prolonged stops in traffic.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydration Vest and Cool Cap.Depending on humidity levels,if it's dry heat they'l last between gas stops.If it's humid they may last for several hours..

Last edited by D2R; 07-08-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot of good idea's and thoughts. Thanks. Been looking at the cooling vest and other ideas. Right now guess I will stick with drinking lots of water, staying out of traffic, and riding more in the evening and early morning. Finally got below 92 this week, and raining almost everyday. Gonna design a rack for my hitch and see if my buddy can make one.

Joe

Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZippoman
It's been mid to upper 90's here for over a month. The mesh jacket and FF helmet really DO help. I've ordered a cooling vest...hopefully it will get here before the 99 temps on Thursday. I haven't been able to find textile pants that fit me, so I've been wetting down draggin jeans, and that helps some. I'm also about to order a set of beads from beadrider. One thing I CAN'T do is miss heavy traffic. All I can do then is just suffer.
Agreed with GAZippoman...

I live in the eastern part of Washington, and from July through September 90s are the lower end of the temp spectrum - it can get upwards of 110 or so in the late afternoons here. If we didn't ride in it, we wouldn't ride...

It sounds weird but I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and a FF helmet, and that actually feels cooler than going sleeve-less with a half helmet (having tried a number of different options). It's something to do with keeping out of direct sunlight. My riding buddies both use the cooling vests as well, but I'm not there yet. I do use the cooling gel-filled bandannas, and if you keep them wet they can be real helpful.

I also try to stay out of stop and go traffic, and if I get caught in it for any lengthy period I just pull over and shut her off for awhile.

Best,

Doc

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

i was out on tuesday when the temp was over 100 deg.. ride was awesome till i got stuck in a 14 mile traffic jam because some jack-wad just had to put their SUV on its roof.

maybe im weird but i like the hot humid weather. the hotter the better.
one of my hottest rides was in colorado out by john martin res. temp was 117.
that was one hot 500 mile day, but awesome.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by TRUBRIT
To be cool.....forget about looking cool. Wear long sleeve white shirts from Companies like Under Armor, not cotton as cotton does not wick away moisture. Same goes for underwear. Forget jeans, same as above. Get a pair of textile riding pants, ones with vents everywhere. Added bonus, most come with armor. A full face helmet is surprisingly more comfortable than a half in the hot sun. Had to try it to believe it. For long trips I will now always wear a FF. Products from Companies like this
http://store.polarsoftice.com/polars...?idCategory=15
have been proven to work. The neck wrap in particular works well as it cools the blood.
My buddies are all from the high desert and this is what they recommend....in the God awful heat dry dessert or humid south....

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gets really hot here in Atlanta. I take roads where there are lots of trees. I also keep tons of gatorade in the tour pack. I take better care of my bike than I do myself at times like this, so in the extreme hot of day, my *** is in the house. Call me a punk... I'm too old for this grueling hot *** riding. i find that I am drained the next day.
Dwayne

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ride faster the wind will cool you down

Quick Reply: Riding in the Heat