Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowout at 80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Blowout at 80 MPH

Let me tell you a story about my fathers day ride with my lovely bride. I rode the route from east Texas down to Galveston across the ferry to Gil crest into Winnie and about to head home when I goosed it to get on IH 10. I was moving in front of the traffic doing about 80 when the bike a 08 ultra classic started to wobble, not knowing if it was front or rear i shut down accelerating and the wobble got worse. My wife yells out whats happening and i said hold on, I realized since my windshield is now in my line of vision instead of me looking over it by about an inch that the rear tire went flat,quickly. I am a firm believer of ride-on and i didn't hit anything but damn it was scary I pulled over to the right shoulder of the road and called my son. I waited for him my wife in the mid day sun about 98 high humidity and I was sweating profusely.
A deputy with Chambers county pulled over on the feeder and asked me if everything was alright and if I needed help. He asked me where my son was coming from and I didn't remember He told me to get into his car put the air on high and got me and my wife a cold drink. He was a life saver as I was slowly getting heat stroke, exhaustion or whatever. He waited with me and my wife until my son came with a trailer . I am now waiting to see what went wrong with this tire.
This deputy was a tribute to law enforcement around this wonderful country and particularly in Texas.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it worked out OK and you were able to safely get the bike on to the shoulder. I haven't experienced that yet on a bike (knock on wood) but sounds like you handled it perfectly.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

glade to hear your ok. that blow out could have cost you and you wife you lives. nice job keeping it up right. and hats off to the leo.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, glad you and yours are okay....dealing with a flat while moving is never an easy thing.

Second...nice to see an LEO did a good turn for you. Lord knows some folks here seem to think they are evil personified.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Skeery stuff indeed. Had front tire blow, (may pop, being stupid), at 65 mph., not much traffic but got on the shoulder, (gravel), and rode her into ditch line. Kept her up but it was a bitch getting her out of the ditch with a flat front end. Laid it down in the back of the pick up my girl freind was following in and went to the next town that way. Yes, there are good LEOs out there, have met up with a couple in my day. Glad it all went well enough that you and your wife were OK. Ride on, Dennis

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Had a front blow out on the Night Train at around 70mph last September. It was 10 at night on the DC Beltway, and my daughter was riding with me. I managed to get the bike off the road in one piece, but it was touch-and-go. Had a county police officer stop almost immediately and set out road flares. He also offered to drive my daughter back to the house so that she wasn't waiting with me on the side of the road.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

glad about the out come, it could have been bad, good job keeping it up and THANKS to the LEO

Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing better than being able to tell the story afterward!

I would have stopped for you because I hate being caught out in the sun.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
gofasted
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of LEO's get a bad rap but for the most part if your not being an a** then they are helpful...I know a few who ride and have had some come over and start a conversation about bikes because they ride...but there are the hard nosed SOB'S who will bust your butt for the least little thing...they are the ones who we all remember the most Lol

Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Good riding! Glad you got a cop that was doing his job!

Quick Reply: Blowout at 80 MPH