Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending repairs,when does it stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010 | 12:38 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

I've owned my 2007 UC for about three months and have had the entire exhaust system off, both wheels off and will need to tear the front fairing off to find out what that rattle is. I've done this because when you buy a used bike, you have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. I love wrenching on my ride and my wife thinks I am crazy: she couldn't figure out why my "new" ride is up on the lift with both wheels off.

To get to the point, the only thing I had to fix was the cracked "y-pipe" and rear brake pads. A bunch of little stuff was wrong, but I figured that would happen - it's a used bike. The dealer didn't do a fsking thing when they sold it - I firmly believe they just make sure there is tire tread, wash 'em and put on a for sale sign.

So far, she's been a good bike and my 2004 Wide Glide was as well. This is my third Harley and all of them, even my old '77 Ironhead, have been reliable. I firmly believe, as someone else said, they need more TLC than metrics, but that's part of the experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Now if I discover my whiny drivetrain is a tranny or primary bearing, I may say different, but for now I'm saying HD builds pretty darn good equipment.

Old 06-23-2010 | 02:03 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sargek
I've owned my 2007 UC for about three months and have had the entire exhaust system off, both wheels off and will need to tear the front fairing off to find out what that rattle is. I've done this because when you buy a used bike, you have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. I love wrenching on my ride and my wife thinks I am crazy: she couldn't figure out why my "new" ride is up on the lift with both wheels off.

To get to the point, the only thing I had to fix was the cracked "y-pipe" and rear brake pads. A bunch of little stuff was wrong, but I figured that would happen - it's a used bike. The dealer didn't do a fsking thing when they sold it - I firmly believe they just make sure there is tire tread, wash 'em and put on a for sale sign.

So far, she's been a good bike and my 2004 Wide Glide was as well. This is my third Harley and all of them, even my old '77 Ironhead, have been reliable. I firmly believe, as someone else said, they need more TLC than metrics, but that's part of the experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Now if I discover my whiny drivetrain is a tranny or primary bearing, I may say different, but for now I'm saying HD builds pretty darn good equipment.
If you are saying the whine in 5th gear and 1st gear, that's normal. Those are square cut gears and they whine all teh time.

Old 06-23-2010 | 02:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
Really is that all , LOL... I mean my list is well documented, but still i sit here with my
09 FLHTCU... 18,340 miles 9 months of riding - 2 months at Harley dealer.. but the 4 days in Yosemite and other trips I been on...man you meet the nicest people just cause it's a Harley...

I treat her like my '78 - '80 Maico's carry a tool kit , great tow insurance and phone numbers of any friend with a truck and trailer ;-)

Wax her, take her out and tell her ya love her, cause if you don't she will take all your money............

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...09-flhtcu.html
Dude , Maico ,nice name drop. Totally brings back memories of the German marque that we so lovingly referred to as Maico Breako. They fell apart idling but when everything stayed on and stayed running they were sweet.

Old 06-23-2010 | 02:52 PM
c50plus
|
Tourer

I ain't ready to give up my UC. I like her too much. She rides awesome and looks great. Most of the feedback I have gotten has been pretty good. Most people here have not had many problems over 30 to 40 K miles. Maybe going into limp mode with my wife in the back and luggage surrounded by trucks and fast going cars made me pesimistic about Harleys, but there is also the fact that I am at the dealer often for repairs or bying parts and I do not tinker with the bike. I ride it very gently. Gonna give it one more chance like six months without any significant issues. That is not too much to ask and if does not pass the test I'll sell it to you guys cheap :=) , I'll be saving lots of money in the long run

Old 06-23-2010 | 03:21 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by c50plus
I ain't ready to give up my UC. I like her too much. She rides awesome and looks great. Most of the feedback I have gotten has been pretty good. Most people here have not had many problems over 30 to 40 K miles. Maybe going into limp mode with my wife in the back and luggage surrounded by trucks and fast going cars made me pesimistic about Harleys, but there is also the fact that I am at the dealer often for repairs or bying parts and I do not tinker with the bike. I ride it very gently. Gonna give it one more chance like six months without any significant issues. That is not too much to ask and if does not pass the test I'll sell it to you guys cheap :=) , I'll be saving lots of money in the long run

Thats your problem, theyre like a hot chick with an inferiority complex.......they like to be beat on now and then, some more than others!

Old 06-23-2010 | 05:11 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Oh my god! I jinked myself after bragging on it. My 07 FXSTC that I bought in July 06 would not start today. The cheap battery in the FOB went bad. I had to by a new one. Checked the manual and it said to change it every year. Well 3 years 11 months on the the $3 battery isn't too bad.

Old 06-23-2010 | 05:45 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Oh my god! I jinked myself after bragging on it. My 07 FXSTC that I bought in July 06 would not start today. The cheap battery in the FOB went bad. I had to by a new one. Checked the manual and it said to change it every year. Well 3 years 11 months on the the $3 battery isn't too bad.
OMG! What a POS! All that money you paid and you have to replace the keyfob battery!!! It should last forever!!!

Better buy a Goldwing.

Old 06-23-2010 | 06:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

The last time I had to have a "repair" to a Harley was on my '78 Shovel Low Rider when the speedo had to be replaced under warranty.

Old 06-23-2010 | 06:33 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Thats your problem, theyre like a hot chick with an inferiority complex.......they like to be beat on now and then, some more than others!
That is so wrong!! (but true!)

Old 06-23-2010 | 08:05 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
If you are saying the whine in 5th gear and 1st gear, that's normal. Those are square cut gears and they whine all teh time.
Well, I don't get a whine in 1st and I knew about the 5th gear whine, but I get a whine in 4th as well, which is especially evident when de-accelerating and downshifting to third, like you are coming to a stop. It's not super loud and it's been consistent since I bought the bike so I am inclined to think it's normal.

But, no other weird noises so I am just riding it and enjoying

Quick Reply: Never ending repairs,when does it stop.