Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending repairs,when does it stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010 | 08:52 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Just to put things in perspective, I just dropped in at the Goldwing forum. Guess what, in 5 minutes of searching I discovered that forum has just as many people complaining about quality as this forum. Here are just some of the topics that came up (recall on a frame issue, over heating, saddle bag latches, and XM radios not working correctly on the 1800 Gold Wings).

So basically any machine made by man can/will have problems (it does not seem to be brand specific). Basically fix it and ride or sell it and move to something else. Life is too short to deal with a constant headache.

Old 06-22-2010 | 01:30 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member

If it has wheels, wings or ****, it's gonna give you problems.

My scoot has behaved itself admirably thus far. Gotta watch for loose stuff mostly..vibration induced. Perform a walkaround preflight prior to riding. I've caught loose latches, misc fittings and muffler clamps this way.

If something ain't right, FIX IT NOW. If it's not roadworthy, park it and take the cage.

To you guys with rust problems, man, that's gotta suck! Here in the dusty SW, we battle dry rot. Sometimes the puddle of oil under my bike is the only moisture I see for miles.

Old 06-22-2010 | 05:34 AM
dailydriver
Road Captain

Rule 1- **** breaks
Rule 2- You dont have to fix poor quality with more poor quality even if it has bar and shield on it and is all pretty chrome
Rule 3- The only way to know it's done to your standards is to do it to your standards

Old 06-22-2010 | 05:59 AM
Surgjr
Cruiser

No problems here. Love my two.

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:13 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I have my first real problem at 27k miles. I developed an oil leak at the transmission output shaft. Although I did have problems with my bike when the Rineharts were on it and I chucked them after 3k miles. However, I don't consider that a Harley problem. I could never get the bike to run worth crap with Rineharts on the bike and I have no patience for that. So other than some tuning problems with Rineharts (and that isn't a Harley problem), an oil leak and a couple of burned out fender lights the bike has been solid.

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:21 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by akroguy
If it has wheels, wings or ****, it's gonna give you problems.

My scoot has behaved itself admirably thus far. Gotta watch for loose stuff mostly..vibration induced. Perform a walkaround preflight prior to riding. I've caught loose latches, misc fittings and muffler clamps this way.

If something ain't right, FIX IT NOW. If it's not roadworthy, park it and take the cage.

To you guys with rust problems, man, that's gotta suck! Here in the dusty SW, we battle dry rot. Sometimes the puddle of oil under my bike is the only moisture I see for miles.
You forgot floats...

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:40 AM
t059736
Road Captain

I could not agree more with you; C50Plus.
One just has to read the posts on this forum to understand the poor engineering, design and costs that this company inflicts on it's customers.
We may be the last generation that saved HD. If one looks at the age of the owners of these terribly constructed machines; one knows that the generation following will not be sucked in as we were. Oh the "noise" is appealing; but like you, I am getting extremely tired of wanting to ride a "broken" bike. The jokes about these bikes are true - much like the "mother-inlaw" jokes - funny, sad, but true.
The people who slam you and your opinion are either working for this desperate company, own a STEALERSHIP or just don't want to recognize reality; much the same as the American auto workers of the '60-70's. And we know what happened to the "American Auto industry" don't we.
Ride In Peace

Old 06-22-2010 | 08:35 AM
c50plus
|
Tourer

A lot of people in denial here. Very interesting. A lot of good feedback also. I will continue fixing and riding. If the braking continues I will be riding something else with Harley clothes. Now that is a good product, they fit and wear really nice and they are made in china.

Old 06-22-2010 | 09:03 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I think you hear from folks when something's wrong, not when a product's working as expected. So, there seems to be a "mass quality" problem when, in fact, I'd guess it's really a small percentage of the vehicles that have a real issue. In any mass-production process, some very small percentage will get the tolerances stacked up the wrong way and make a real lemon. However, in defense of the motor company, most of the bikes with issues also seem to have been modified from stock in some manner. Opening up the breathing so the motor can be run at higher RPMs, torque, and HP levels will have a negative impact on reliability. The excess heat and vibration manifests itself in other issues as well. There's nothing that has to be modified on the stock bike. The seat is good, the power is okay, it's got more than enough polished and chrome pieces on it, and reliability is excellent. It was a great point made by a previous poster that said in effect, "issues with aftermarket parts and modifications aren't the MOCO's problem." Neither is severe environmental stress. Parking the bike beside an ocean-front beach is not in the "6-sigma" environment that HD designs for. Neither is any other bike or vehicle made in the world. Incidently, we have the same issue here on the Space Coast in Central Florida. It's about the corrosion capital of the world. That is one reason why I dislike chrome and polished metal on a vehicle. Here where I live it'll only last 2 - 3 years at best. Even boats', designed for the salt-water marine environment, chrome and polished metal will corrode after only a couple of years w/o intense maintanence of washing, polishing, and waxing on a very regular basis. Give me powder coat and paint anyday.

Old 06-22-2010 | 09:08 AM
mrnone
Road Master

everyone of you guys that said "I haven't had a problem" need to pay attention to what is being posted here. I am getting all my joy from a 2005 e glide. there have been many upgrades as the motor company figured out what stupid mistakes it has made. the tensioners on the cam chain are made to go bad as well as the primary shoe. 450$ from harley gets u hydraulic tensioners along with a better oil pump. the shift arm behind the primary needs to be tight. they all loosen up and you wont know till it's stripped that it is bad. its hard to tighten when the bolt that goes in the lever stock is capable of being stretched almost a 1/4 inch.
your breather hoses are cracked and leaking by now, you just haven't seen it. the hole in the banjo bolt that goes in the early twin cams heads is hard to keep clean. cheap to upgrade to new style breathers. brake squeal goes away by flipping rotors there is a harley service bulletin explaining how to do it. you think you have no problems, but there are always problems. maybe that 1 thread of the bolt is still holding, would seem just as good as 7 threads holding till you hit that bump. if you are lucky enough to live through it and have cell fone reception and some sort of income, you are gonna be ok. any of those pieces not in place and your f'd. good luck. start buying or making special tools or paying thru the nose to harley mechanics , who are usually backed up so far u wont see ur scooter for a week or 2. one more time if u r 1 of the guys who took the time to post " I haven't had any probs 25000 miles no problem" get your grubbies on and get under the bike b4 u r standing on the side of the road. is your CD skipping lately? the brackets that hold the fairing have been redesigned 5 times. 3 of mine were broken the 4th had been welded back together by some unknown previous tinker. CD don't skip anymore. I got a big box of busted rusted harley parts my bike is 5 years old. 52000 miles
I ride it EVERYDAY and yeah it pretty much is parked right in the sand at the ocean. I check my oil everytime I get gas, check the tires air pressure every exposed nut,torx and allen I can get to gets checked I carry a torque wrench and thread lock with me every where I go, part of the 30 pounds of tools I always have with me. I have never been totally stranded do to diligent maintenance. I have been up to my elbows in grease freezing cold blistering sun.... hope this helps someone as it would be the only bright side to my personal agony. feel free to shoot me any questions. email me

Quick Reply: Never ending repairs,when does it stop.