Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending repairs,when does it stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:19 PM
Meathook
Cruiser

H-D has come a long way. When I first started riding one (1962 in1974) I could count on it breaking down a couple miles after I turned for the barn. It never started in front of a bar (in retrospect: thankfully) and got about 30 mpg. Oil on the floor everywhere! I owned a rice-burner for trips as I wanted to get there and back again.

My 1973 (AMF) was even less dependable and a far worse ride. It sat more than it ran!

My 1995 EVO ran 84,000+ and never leaked a drop - I'd be riding it still if I had not decided to buy a new one. Now decommissioned and have time for serious miles!

The 2010 has exceeded expectations!

By their nature H-D needs tender loving care. Just like Honda or Toyota occasionally builds a lemon, some individual bikes are rocks. Still, the H-D needs more attention than a Gold Wing, but sure is more fun to own. It comes with the turf! At least you can do most of the stuff yourself and don't have to (generally) tear off a bunch of fiberglass to even get to the drain plug!

Its come a long, long way!

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:29 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Wow, I have had mine since Sept 07 and it hasnt given me a minute trouble.
By the way a Reinhart problem or a problem with an aftermarket part, or a problem resulting from you making changes to the bike isnt a Harley problem.
^^^^ True enough! ^^^^

My '02 has been relatively problem free for the 60,000 miles it has.
- Replaced 3 out of 4 fairing brckets
- Replaced the cam chain tensioners

Thats about it. Any other issues could be blamed on my own mistakes. Just can't think of any right now though.

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:29 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by mrnone
I am right there w u bro.

burnt a hole in the piston, exhaust stud fell off, the tail lite in the tour pak fell off, the bolt to the passenger footboard bracket and suspension broke in 3 pieces, im rusting thru my second set of mirrors perfect new ones less than 9 months ago are already pitted, the right side floor board just about fell off, gas gauge sending unit is all over the map, every week or so my odometer says "tip" wont reset till you turn off the bike and start over, two dipsticks have turned into bottle rockets never to be seen again got the 3rd one tied down, front legs on my forks look like they are off of a 30 year old bike, my passing lamp bar has completeley rusted all the way thru and almost all of the chrome peeled off, shift lever fell off, shift arm behind primary wallered out can't be tightened 12 dollar part 200 dollar fix, gas lid rattled so much i couldn't hear the radio replaced whole console, all four fairing brackets broken and replaced, fuel gauge is crazed needs replaced can't hardley read the incorrect readings, 7 back tires. I know there is **** I have forgotten too...

52000 miles on my bike got it a year ago with 25000 on it.
but im not bitter one god@mn bit....
what a piece of **** and I am a total loser for spending all my money on it.
Get rid of that dog right away I would have no patience for that 800lb anchor throw it in the river!

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:46 PM
nccinstaller
Advanced

I have owned many many bikes, atvs, and cars. I think pretty much every vehicle has given me a little trouble every once in awhile. Just the nature of the beast. I think no matter what brand you get there is always the chance of getting one that is a lemon

Old 06-21-2010 | 07:09 PM
flatfifth2003
Cruiser

2 1/2 years and 24000 miles on my '08 FLHX it is by far the most dependable (of 3) Harleys I have owned. The only thing I can remember is the heel shifter fell off before I had a chance to take it off. I do all my own maintenance by the book and to the letter. No fancy or extensive mods, and it runs just fine.

Old 06-21-2010 | 07:17 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

burnt a hole in the piston, exhaust stud fell off, the tail lite in the tour pak fell off, the bolt to the passenger footboard bracket and suspension broke in 3 pieces, im rusting thru my second set of mirrors perfect new ones less than 9 months ago are already pitted, the right side floor board just about fell off, gas gauge sending unit is all over the map, every week or so my odometer says "tip" wont reset till you turn off the bike and start over, two dipsticks have turned into bottle rockets never to be seen again got the 3rd one tied down, front legs on my forks look like they are off of a 30 year old bike, my passing lamp bar has completeley rusted all the way thru and almost all of the chrome peeled off, shift lever fell off, shift arm behind primary wallered out can't be tightened 12 dollar part 200 dollar fix, gas lid rattled so much i couldn't hear the radio replaced whole console, all four fairing brackets broken and replaced, fuel gauge is crazed needs replaced can't hardley read the incorrect readings, 7 back tires. I know there is **** I have forgotten too...

Now that was funny, I don't care who you are. Made me chuckle...

Old 06-21-2010 | 07:37 PM
Javawave
Tourer

sorry to hear about your problems, my 08 Ultra has been a dream. Only issue is squealing brakes on the rear. I have Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha, this is by far the best bike I have owned. I hope you get your troubles figured out. BTW the only break down we have had on any of our group rides was on on 2008 Goldwing. Go figure.

Old 06-21-2010 | 07:46 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

I presume "HB CA" is Huntington Beach, California?

NO GD WONDER you have all this rust and pitting.

Old 06-21-2010 | 08:24 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Damn, are you storing that bike at the beach? Sounds like you need one of those chromed plastic bikes, one with a little less metal in it.

Old 06-21-2010 | 08:26 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I haven't had that much trouble with my last seven Harleys all togeather.

Quick Reply: Never ending repairs,when does it stop.