Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending repairs,when does it stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010 | 01:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badfinger
What volume **** on an 08???
I reckon he's talking about the 71820-98 volume switch on the left handlebar switches.

Old 06-21-2010 | 01:35 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, I have had mine since Sept 07 and it hasnt given me a minute trouble.
By the way a Reinhart problem or a problem with an aftermarket part, or a problem resulting from you making changes to the bike isnt a Harley problem.

Old 06-21-2010 | 01:44 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
From: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.

Holy crap, if it wasn't for bad luck you guys wouldn't have any luck at all...

Now I feel all fortunate and grateful - my 2004 RKC that I bought used has been relatively repair-free for the last 25K miles or so. I haven't had any problems to speak of with her at all, had to replace a drive belt that got damaged, but most of the cost associated with shop time on this bike has been either preventive maintenance or add-ons.

Sorry you guys have had so many problems with yours...thats not been my experience.

Doc

Old 06-21-2010 | 02:44 PM
c50plus
|
Tourer

Volume switch is what I meant to say. Althogh I hate the idea, every day I am getting closer to getting a Wing, wanting to ride trouble free and caring less about looks,sound and coolness factor. Gonna fix the new minor problem and wait and see. If it continues I think I will bail out. What a shame cause I really like this bike but I am tired. I thought about trading in for a 2010 but these bikes do not keep the value like they say. Dealer would give me $15.5K but I spent about $27 so far ( that is not counting Harley clothing). That is a $11.5K depreciation in two years. I guess they tell you that when you are buying and the opposite when you are selling.

Old 06-21-2010 | 03:06 PM
FLTRKER
Cruiser
Default 09 rk

I ain't had any problems with mine- well I had to replace the seat and the bars but that is just part of it. Well then the lock on the saddle bags fell off someplace- but hey- then I forgot about the recall on the tires- but they are made by dunlop- but then the throttle by wire thing broke last week on my trip to the dragon, that was fun- and then the shocks needed replaced- and it woobles in the turns- no biggie- I expect to ride 8000 miles on a cross country trip this summer. wish me luck.

Old 06-21-2010 | 03:09 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't disagree with the OP and even after saying that it's my favorite bike out of all the bikes I've owned.

I have an 09 RK about 26k miles, I do ride it.

Here is a list and no it's not just my scooter, do a search and you will find others, except the brake light switch designed so the fluid runs through the switch and if the prong shorts the fluid will come out of it, genuis;

Front Wheel Bearing failure, could have put me down required trailering

Brake Light Switch failure, causing brake fluid loss, required trailering

Start Switch that made the starter motor continue to run, took multiple times to the dealer to correct

Saddlebag Latch Spring broke

Leaky Master Cylinder gaskets that weep along the top

Quick Disconnect Luggage Rack lock broke, requiring it to be drill so I could remove the rack.

Spot Lights that are fogged (after 40 years you think you could stop it)

ABS Software recall

Front Tire Recall

Jiffy Stand Recall

Gas Tank Mount Recall

OP like me you will get bashed or told to buy another brand, if it was not for Harley's great customer service I would be annoyed, but Harley and the Dealer's (more than one) have been nothing short of fantasic. I've been riding for more than 30 years and what I tell first time wannabe Harley owner's is it might not be like other bikes you have owned. If they can understand that they mosy likely will not be disappointed, I'm not disappointed, just stating my truths.

Harley does not need to sell thier bikes to most people on this forum, their already sold, but Harley does need to continue to create a new customer base and it's the Devil thats in the details thats causes people to not look at the brand, the others either do not care or are loyal to the core.

I will repeat it's still my favorite bike to date, but that does not mean that it's problem free, I love to ride my RK and it shows I've road 26k miles in less than 18 months.

Last edited by EricD10563; 06-21-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2010 | 03:32 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mrnone
I am right there w u bro.

burnt a hole in the piston, exhaust stud fell off, the tail lite in the tour pak fell off, the bolt to the passenger footboard bracket and suspension broke in 3 pieces, im rusting thru my second set of mirrors perfect new ones less than 9 months ago are already pitted, the right side floor board just about fell off, gas gauge sending unit is all over the map, every week or so my odometer says "tip" wont reset till you turn off the bike and start over, two dipsticks have turned into bottle rockets never to be seen again got the 3rd one tied down, front legs on my forks look like they are off of a 30 year old bike, my passing lamp bar has completeley rusted all the way thru and almost all of the chrome peeled off, shift lever fell off, shift arm behind primary wallered out can't be tightened 12 dollar part 200 dollar fix, gas lid rattled so much i couldn't hear the radio replaced whole console, all four fairing brackets broken and replaced, fuel gauge is crazed needs replaced can't hardley read the incorrect readings, 7 back tires. I know there is **** I have forgotten too...

52000 miles on my bike got it a year ago with 25000 on it.
but im not bitter one god@mn bit....
what a piece of **** and I am a total loser for spending all my money on it.
Holy crap, where do you park it in the Ocean?

Old 06-21-2010 | 03:35 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear, but it's not normal. I have 15,000 on my 2009 Ultra and it's doing just great, not one problem with it yet.

Old 06-21-2010 | 03:40 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

I have an 09 EGC with 15k on it, I had the front tire recall, Tank bracket recall and ABS update. The dealer took care of all the problems fast and without any problems. I'm still a happy Harley owner

Old 06-21-2010 | 04:30 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master

Sorry to hear everyones problems. Seems like the bikes are either trouble free or filled with trouble. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground. All my HD bikes have been pretty trouble free.

If you want to experiance some real problems, and close to NO support from the dealers, purchase a Buell. When HD shut them down last fall, I bought a liquid cooled Buell 1125 from my local Harley dealer. This was absolutely one of the worst bikes I ever owned. I cant say much for Erik Buell's engineering. This bike had the gas tank IN the frame and when it was hot, gas would literally drip out in puddles and make the garage stink like gasoline. Had to have the California emisions canister put on to stop the drips and smell. The list with that bike went on and on and on! Only kept it 3 months. So if you think HD bikes are bad, get some of their Buells!

Quick Reply: Never ending repairs,when does it stop.