Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop e3 questions, wobble, noise, ect

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:26 AM
Tanker2
|
Road Captain
Question Dunlop e3 questions, wobble, noise, ect

Yes I have read the posts. Most are really satisfied with their E3's. I have a 1999 Ultra and would like to try them I think. First of all, are most of you running the bias ply? Secondly are they noisy? One guy said they have low speed wobble. No one else mentioned that. And the dealer said he had guys say they are not as good in the rain. Also wondering if I could get away with running the MU/140 over stock size MT/130? Guess I haven't been that unhappy with my D402's. Other then wear. But if the e3's are better I would try them. Dealer wants the same for both D402 or E3's. Thanks for your time.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:39 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Tanker2, I am one of the guys that posted a problem with my front E3 getting noisy and vibrating when it had about 3000 miles. This only occured at around 70 mph. I would also like to point out that it showed no signs of cupping. I debated about putting on a set of D402s and not replacing the E3s. However, after reading more good than bad about the E3, I decided to put the E3 back on. I believe I was just unlucky enough to get a bad tire on my first round. I am going to monitor this tire and keep check on the air pressure to be sure it does not fluxuate. I really like the tires and have been satisfied with their performance in the rain also. Like I said, theres a lot of guys using them without any problem. I didn't notice them being noisy until my front tire went bad. I never had a wobble problem either. As far as size, someone else may help you out. I know I read a thread about some year model bikes being able to accomodate wider tires and some not, so I am not sure. Overall, I am still please with the E3, I just wish the vendor I used would have pro-rated the tire or given me a price cut on replacing it. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:50 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

I have posted comments about the noise from the front E3 at 50 to 60 mph. If I get more than 10,000 miles out of the rear tire, I will buy them again.

Old 06-20-2010 | 10:21 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BackAt5O
I have posted comments about the noise from the front E3 at 50 to 60 mph. If I get more than 10,000 miles out of the rear tire, I will buy them again.
I agree and have commented that these tires on the front do give off a sound within this MPH range. Anything faster, wind noise takes over, and below there is nothing. So I am with the above poster but do have a question for you. Did you replace your front with another E3? And did the noise go away?

Old 06-20-2010 | 11:14 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

Very Interesting!!!!!
I just ordered a pair yesterday...hope it was the right decission?!?!?
Want more cornering and milage.
Got almost 12K on the 402 rear now and it's bald!

Old 06-20-2010 | 12:20 PM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

The only problem I have had with the E3's is a bolt in the rear tire after less than 6K miles! My front tire does make some noise at slower speeds but goes away when the bike leans over some, just changing lanes makes it disappear. The noise is not bothersome after you get used to it. At first I thought it may have been a wheel bearing. Just checked my notes and have 15K miles on the front and almost 10K on the replacement rear. They both have plenty of meat left on them and still stick in both wet and dry road conditions. Elite 3 all the way baby! 402's suck...

Don't know what your dealer is charging, or what you mechanical limitations may be, but you can get both front AND rear tires delivered to you house for something in the $215 range. Take the wheels off and have an indy replace the tires for about $50-$75. Surely less than $300 for the whole thing. Last I checked around here it was about $190 for a rear tire with "free" installation. Wonder if they even use anti-seize or a torque wrench when applicable and when you ain't watching...

If the dealer charges the same for E3's or 402's, to me that is a no brainer based on the mileage I am getting on the E3's versus the several sets of 402's.

Attached Thumbnails Dunlop e3 questions, wobble, noise, ect-bolt-in-tire2-copy.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010 | 12:56 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Have right at 11k on a set of E3's now and have not seen any of the issues mentioned. Getting great wear out of the set and have found them to be very good in wet conditions, even in torential downpours here in the sunny South. Absolutely pleased with dry condition ride as the scrapes on the right floorboard and Jiffy stand bracket will atest to. Riding is mostly two up and at least partially loaded. Bought and had them installed by a local motorcycle tire shop called Two Brothers Tires in Lawrenceville GA. Was a good deal and quick installation.
Will certainly keep running these tires.

Old 06-20-2010 | 01:10 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I have 10k on my E3's spme cupping on rear, great on tar snakes and in rain ...no more noisy than Avon or D402's...estimate i still have about 4k miles left...ran 42 psi on rear...will try 40 next rear...but will surely put another on on it. i use the MU90

Old 06-20-2010 | 01:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I'm on my second E3 rear, now with 2k, and neither this one, the first rear, nor the present front (12k) has had any noise moving in a straight line. No noise that I could hear, anyway, as I wear a 3/4 helmet. The first rear at 10-15k started some cupping on the edges and made a faint groan when cornering, which I never noticed unless I listened for it. It lasted 20k with 2/32" remaining when replaced, double that of the first two D402's I had on this bike. To say I'm impressed is an understatement, as performance is better wet and dry and groove-tracking is much-less evident compared to stock. They have no downside that I can report unless you must have a WW, and if so you're SOL.

Old 06-20-2010 | 03:47 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

ive noticed a slight tire hum on some road sufaces,not enough to bother me,and only from the front. never hit the floorboards until putin these on, now ive found the boards 4 or 5 times in the first 2000 miles.

Quick Reply: Dunlop e3 questions, wobble, noise, ect