Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Dual Bulb Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
speeder75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Dual Bulb Headlight

Just had my dealer install the HD dual bulb headlight. I am not very impressed. It seems worse than stock. Not very bright especially on high beem. Also seems to be pointed to low. I am i the only one not impressed with this headlight ??? ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Default RE: HD Dual Bulp Headlight

Welcome to the club. Dealer told me that anyone riding behind me could turn off their lights and drive by my lights, "that's how bright they are". After wasting $162 I wish he would try that. Only redeeming factor is that it looks a lot better than my stock 02 light.
Gary

Old 08-23-2006, 03:30 PM
pig
5th Gear

If anybody want to buy one i got one for sale

Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
speeder75
Cruiser

looks like no one is happy with it. Should have asked before i plunked down the cash. At this point i would be happy with the same performance as stock, however to me it seems much worse. ????? I wonder if mine is set up right. HD puts these on all CVO's ??

Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at these in the '07 parts calalog last night and noticed that they did not meet some sort of spec...don't remember the initials for the group that issues the spec and don't know what the spec is, just happened to notice this disclaimer. I think the only way to get brighter is with the $500 high intensity units.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:15 PM
speeder75
Cruiser

ECE.....Is that a european regulation ???

Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not sure if newer bikes use H4 bulbs, but if so I would recommend buying one rated 100w on high-beam. Mine is 100/55w, as I have higher-powered passing lamps (37.5w each, vs. 25w stock) and don't need the extra ooomph on low-beam. These bulbs are available in 100/55,80,85, or 90w, but are not usually seen in auto-parts stores, much less a HD shop. I got mine (Hella brand) through a foreign-car parts shop, and I think J.C. Whitney has them. They shouldn't be hard to find.

The 100w bulb makes a huge difference, and the 15a breaker has no trouble with the increase in current on the high-beam side. I did have trouble with low-beams using a 100/85w bulb and the brighter passing lamps, which taxed the 15a breaker, so I installed a standard automotive relay with the majority of the current connected directly to the battery through a 10a fuse. That solved the breaker issue.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Danester
Road Master

welp - --Ya'll saved my $$..thanks for the post and "HIDS-UP"!..

Old 08-23-2006, 06:12 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speeder75

ECE.....Is that a european regulation ???
Good question. I just googled it and the first several pages mostly refer to The School of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Plausible?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: HD Dual Bulb Headlight

I have the same lite and wasn't impressed either.
I got a PIAA Xtreme White Plus H-11 (you wont find it at your local Pep Boys)after the stock one blew out. Oh. The dealer doesn't stock the H11 either.Well it was better,but no cigar. After THAT one blew, at almost $50 apiece, I started looking for something else. What I came up with was an HID retro. A bit pricy but the way the H11s were blowing out I figured it was gonna pay for its self over time. The HID bulbs are rated in thousands of hours and the halogens in less then a hundred in some cases.
IMO, this is the way to go if you have the dual bulb headlamp. Its so bright it makes my H1 50 watt running lamps look yellow. I never use the hi beam anymore. You can hardly make it out anyway.
I got it from these guys but theres many other sites that offer the convertion kit.
XENONDEPOT

Its a snap to install also. Almost plug-n-play.[:@]

ORIGINAL: speeder75

Just had my dealer install the HD dual bulb headlight. I am not very impressed. It seems worse than stock. Not very bright especially on high beem. Also seems to be pointed to low. I am i the only one not impressed with this headlight ??? ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

[IMG]local://upfiles/1197/0FFD7B1DBD204C8FB38BF114143CECF9.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: HD Dual Bulb Headlight