Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler or fan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:15 AM
jbmss
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler or fan?

Just got stuck in traffic yesterday and thought my left thigh was on fire,In stop and go traffic on a hot day wouldnt a cooling fan be better than a oil cooler?Also anybody running a LeNale cooling fan on there bike ? Is it better than the Harley one?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You cant go wrong with the combination of Syn oil, a good tune and an oil cooler. Some add fans to the oil cooler and some add fans to cool the cylinder heads. I have heard that the Lenale is a better fan than the HD but have no personal experience.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some have installed fans just to find out that the fan blows hot air onto their right leg between the cylinders.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,128 Likes on 3,660 Posts

Syn oil and tune...I try to stay away from situations that put me in trafiic...if it happens i grin and bare it...oil cooler or fan ain't gonna do much for you there.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmss
Just got stuck in traffic yesterday and thought my left thigh was on fire,In stop and go traffic on a hot day wouldnt a cooling fan be better than a oil cooler?Also anybody running a LeNale cooling fan on there bike ? Is it better than the Harley one?
Stay away from stop and go traffic when it's hot and if you can't, be prepared for roasting. Nothing will dramatically cool down an air cooled bike when it's idling, assuming your bike is already properly tuned and doesn't run too lean.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Syn oil and tune...I try to stay away from situations that put me in trafiic...if it happens i grin and bare it...oil cooler or fan ain't gonna do much for you there.
If you have the time and money, the oil cooler and Lenale fan are well worth it. I installed both on my stock 2010 Ultra and I can vouch for their effectiveness. They work very well. The fan cools the cylinders when I'm stuck in traffic, and the oil cooler speeds up the process of cooling the oil when you finally do get moving.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

I have both HD fan and cooler and use mobile one syn and
had it tuned with pcv but the best thing I did for the heat
was jackpot 2/1/2 headers now even with the fan on my
right leg is no hotter than the left

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer

A good tune will drop the engine temp. An oil cooler will do very little in traffic 'cause theres no air moving over it. A fan will cool the bike, but it does so by blowing air over the fins, and you can guess where that goes. There are a couple of manufacturers of heat shield that fit under the seat, you can search the forum and get the names. I use HD's, and they help keep the heat off that left leg. But in traffic, still gonna get hot. And HD is not unique here, the Kawasaki Concours owners have the same complaint.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I thought about the fan, but a Harley tech told me to stay away from it. It makes your right leg feel like it's in a blast oven....no way around that.
\I have the oil cooler, side deflectors and the rear cylinder cut off system. I also just installed the 1' floofboard extenders. That really made a difference while riding.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Once worried as well about being stuck in traffic with a new Stroker motor,for a long time ran an oil cooler.Now, no coolers just avoid traffic jambs,no matter how far out of the way it takes me.Been some great rides that way.

Quick Reply: oil cooler or fan?