Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler or fan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by djkolp
If you have the time and money, the oil cooler and Lenale fan are well worth it. I installed both on my stock 2010 Ultra and I can vouch for their effectiveness. They work very well. The fan cools the cylinders when I'm stuck in traffic, and the oil cooler speeds up the process of cooling the oil when you finally do get moving.
+ 1 on that. My riding partner went through 3 HD fans in less than 10k. They would not hold up. Keep the cylinder heads cool and the oil will not get hot, its an air cooled engine. Get both. I can feel the heat on right leg when running the fan but its not bad.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have Rivco air horns in place where a fan would go, and I don't want to get rid of them. OTOH, I've often thought about rigging a small motorcycle radiator fan behind the horns, as that should help at least some. I haven't looked closely, but suspect there isn't enough clearance between the horns and engine, so that may be a weak idea. I've been looking at these fans and there are quite a few available on Ebay, but give only model application, not size. There are also some universal radiator fans, but I haven't found any <2" thick, and that's definitely too big for the area I have to work with inside the horn area. The fan would need to be robust since it will be hot almost all the time and must be waterproof, and I would think a MC radiator fan would fill that bill, but it's a matter of finding one that will fit in without making contact with the motor.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Until you put a barrier between you and that air cooled motor you are going to roast your nuts when sitting in traffic...unless you install a crotch cooler do a search we have a pretty good following with all of our products.
Thank You..