Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Wing back to HD but with HQ build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts
Default From Wing back to HD but with HQ build

OK, let me give you a quick background....

I'm a big guy, 350lbs. I had an 07 SG that was not happy at all with the performance. Going up hills I had to several times downshift to 4th gear just to get enough torque to pass trucks, etc.... It was set up with a Stage 1 A/C, Rush true duals, SE Race tuner. I avg about 10K miles/year, 75% highway, and ride solo.

I sold it, and bought a Wing. Love the performance of the Wing, I put it in 5th gear and when I need the torque all it takes is a slight twist to the trottle, basically eliminated the downshifting......but it is just not a Harley. If Harley sold a Wing engine with a Harley body I would be in heaven.

So here's the ?, if I buy a new stock 96" RK and install a HQ built, which package would give me the same torque and power characteristics as the Wing?

"touring" package TC103 kit??

looking forward to your responses

Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 AM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lu! Fancy seeing you on here! Hope you find what you are looking for...

I love my Police 103... it has plenty of power / torque for me - maybe you could find a used 2008 and up FLHTP??? Or do you no longer want a bike with a faring? You could go with a police RK if that is the case... It's worth looking into, for sure.

BTW, the springer looks great! See you around on the web!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Lu
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rushbass
Hey Lu! Fancy seeing you on here! Hope you find what you are looking for...

I love my Police 103... it has plenty of power / torque for me - maybe you could find a used 2008 and up FLHTP??? Or do you no longer want a bike with a faring? You could go with a police RK if that is the case... It's worth looking into, for sure.

BTW, the springer looks great! See you around on the web!
Thanks buddy. Dude, I demo rode a SE Ultra @ Americade last week and was disappointed. Man no low and mid range torque. In the highway it had torque but not like the Wing. I am so glad I did not put out $36K for that, but still the Wing is no Harley.

I was looking at ebay for RK Police bikes, and there were a few, but got me thinking, why not just pay for the performance I am seeking, therefore a HQ kit.

No fairing this time, like to go ol school. Carlini apes, 21" spokes front wheel, and samson fishtail pipes. Long distance; install the windshield and plug the ipod underneath the helmet. Local riding, take everything off.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetlu
OK, let me give you a quick background....

I'm a big guy, 350lbs. I had an 07 SG that was not happy at all with the performance. Going up hills I had to several times downshift to 4th gear just to get enough torque to pass trucks, etc.... It was set up with a Stage 1 A/C, Rush true duals, SE Race tuner. I avg about 10K miles/year, 75% highway, and ride solo.

I sold it, and bought a Wing. Love the performance of the Wing, I put it in 5th gear and when I need the torque all it takes is a slight twist to the trottle, basically eliminated the downshifting......but it is just not a Harley. If Harley sold a Wing engine with a Harley body I would be in heaven.

So here's the ?, if I buy a new stock 96" RK and install a HQ built, which package would give me the same torque and power characteristics as the Wing?

"touring" package TC103 kit??

looking forward to your responses
Your not going to get the power of the wing without spending a TON of money. Sorry, but thats the truth.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Lu
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by flyingace
Your not going to get the power of the wing without spending a TON of money. Sorry, but thats the truth.
and that is what I want, the truth. So what do I need to get something similar to the wing. Please feel free to recommend, seriously

Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

YIKES. Sweet Lou AND Rushbass! Hey guys!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, I had a friend race his Screaming Eagle FLHX while 1-up against a stock Wing 2-up. From a dead stop the Wing blew him away.

They then raced from 60mph to ???mph, and the Wing left him like a crotch rocket. I love my hog but it can't match the performance of the flat six on the Wing. Oh well...

Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want to spend money and get the performance you want, look into this on a bagger....

http://www.turboyourharley.com/turboKits.asp

may be the only way that you can match a Wing.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A turbo bagger!

To me; and it's just my opinion; would be like a turbo station wagon or turbo minivan....

Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Gigantor
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to get the torque and power of a wing your going to need cubic inches, and lots of them. a built 103 would get you close but you are going to take a hit in reliabilty and rideability. stepping up to a 117+ would give you what youre looking for but obviously its going to dent your pocketbook more than just a little.

Quick Reply: From Wing back to HD but with HQ build