Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Wing back to HD but with HQ build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetlu
and that is what I want, the truth. So what do I need to get something similar to the wing. Please feel free to recommend, seriously

If you want power of the Wing for minimum shifting (from damn near full stop to full hiway speeds) and Harley wanabe looks, then a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 is what you are looking for ..... (IMO) hands down.

It's a friggen beast, with a wide power band that goes from like .... 0 to infrared!
The limited need for shifting is the result of stuffing a 2,053cc (125.ci) V twin into it's frame, that produces 96BHP and 120 lb-ft of torque at 3,350 rpm.

I almost bought one ........ but, it just isn't a Harley ...... even if it 'is' a totally badass ride.

Prices for used low mileage (under 10K) mid 2000's vintage, is under $8K.

Hmmmmmm ..... maybe I'll go ahead and buy one anyway ........ just to have it for when my RK is down for maint. (heck ...I'll wear a bag).

Old 06-20-2010, 03:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

and that is what I want, the truth. So what do I need to get something similar to the wing. Please feel free to recommend, seriously
Im not an expert on high performance HD motors. My 07 was a stage 2 103" (with the higher performance cams) and dyno tuned. I was happy with the power, but having spend a good deal of time test riding GL1800s, I KNOW how powerful that motor is, and the 103 aint there. Hell, I doubt the 110 comes close. Im not saying you would not be happy with the power of a 103 or 110, just saying its still a ways off of what the Wing puts out. You really need to find one to ride somewhere, and see if they are enough for what you want. I know my 103 was MUCH nicer pulling up canyons with the wife on the back, and it was just the HD upgrades (not known as the ultimate in performance) cost about $2100 all said and done, parts, labor, and tuning (I used the SERT for tuning) I used to have a VTX1800, and while my 103 never put out the power that motor did, it was plenty enough to make me happy.

Honestly, If you LITERALLY want it to pull like a wing, I think you would be looking at one of 2 options:

1. Turbo

2. High performance crate motor. (Jims, S&S, etc)

I don't think you will get there building up a stock 96" motor. And if you did, I would have serious doubts about its durability. If thats the kind of power you need, If it were ME, I would want a motor purposely built from the ground up by a high performance motor company to put out that kind of power, without tearing itself apart doing so.

But again, im FAR from an expert on the subject.

Last edited by flyingace; 06-20-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but I went with an HQ build. 95" with 39G cams, headwork etc. I should've gone at least 10:1, but instead went with 9:5.1 Comp.(downshifting required in some instances). It pulls up hills wonderfully and has great passing power 2up. I would look into an HQ 107". If I had the coin, I would've gone that route.

Cheers,
BCC

Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way but if you were 250. Not 350 a few minor upgrades on the bike and you'd be fine. And you'd be healthier. Not meant to offend. Just my opinion.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
BackAgain
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would find an 02 or later Ultra...ride it and save your cash for a 124" build...it's less cash to strip an ultra than build one...I had a Dyna then RdKing Classic...should have had the Ultra first...even when I really wanted a RdGlide...now am putting together a RdGlide Ultra...w/124"...I took my notes for the 124" from PhilM and his T-Man build....Had the Wing and just not the Harley way of life for me...

Old 06-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
Im not an expert on high performance HD motors. My 07 was a stage 2 103" (with the higher performance cams) and dyno tuned. I was happy with the power, but having spend a good deal of time test riding GL1800s, I KNOW how powerful that motor is, and the 103 aint there. Hell, I doubt the 110 comes close. Im not saying you would not be happy with the power of a 103 or 110, just saying its still a ways off of what the Wing puts out. You really need to find one to ride somewhere, and see if they are enough for what you want. I know my 103 was MUCH nicer pulling up canyons with the wife on the back, and it was just the HD upgrades (not known as the ultimate in performance) cost about $2100 all said and done, parts, labor, and tuning (I used the SERT for tuning) I used to have a VTX1800, and while my 103 never put out the power that motor did, it was plenty enough to make me happy.

Honestly, If you LITERALLY want it to pull like a wing, I think you would be looking at one of 2 options:

1. Turbo

2. High performance crate motor. (Jims, S&S, etc)

I don't think you will get there building up a stock 96" motor. And if you did, I would have serious doubts about its durability. If thats the kind of power you need, If it were ME, I would want a motor purposely built from the ground up by a high performance motor company to put out that kind of power, without tearing itself apart doing so.

But again, im FAR from an expert on the subject.

Thanks man, I need to look into the Jims and S&S. You may have something there.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Lu
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RFG
Don't take this the wrong way but if you were 250. Not 350 a few minor upgrades on the bike and you'd be fine. And you'd be healthier. Not meant to offend. Just my opinion.
No offense taken. I hear you man and agree with you, it is just hard when you been like this all of your life and I have tried, countless of times.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Lu
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
YIKES. Sweet Lou AND Rushbass! Hey guys!
Tony, what's up buddy, I'll see you in two weeks.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

If you want a FLH that will walk away from any wing, pm me. Mine could be yours for the right price.

I ride two up mostly and that is 400lbs with us both and never do I need to downshift cruising between 60 to 75mph. Just set the cruise and enjoy. I live in hilly southern Ohio as well.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

No offense taken. I hear you man and agree with you, it is just hard when you been like this all of your life and I have tried, countless of times.
My name stands for ReformedFatGuy. RFG. Fat my whole life. You can do it.

Good luck with the bike and if ya need some weight loss tips pm me. Diets don't work. It takes a lifestyle change.

Quick Reply: From Wing back to HD but with HQ build